Looking for McPherson Strut Spring Compressor

Old 12-30-14, 12:21 PM
Looking for McPherson Strut Spring Compressor

I'm looking for a used wall mount McPherson strut spring compressor for home use because I'm tired of paying a garage to do it when the need arises (as it often does). Also, I just got a bonus from my company for 10 years of employment, so I'm looking to buy a single item rather than blow it all away on a bunch of little things and have nothing to show for it. I have my eyes on the Branick 7400 or 7600, but can't decipher what the difference is. Branick's website says the 7400 is discontinued, but they are still available online. The 7600 specifically says it is can be used for more heavy duty application such as light trucks, SUVs, and jeeps without the need for special adapters (whatever those may be). Considering I have a Toyota Tundra and an Acura MDX, it sounds like I should swing for the 7600. I was able to find a 7400 in very good condition from Amazon for $638 shipped and a new 7600 from another online vendor for $656, but they have a lot of customer complaints and an 'F' rating from the BBB. Will the 7400 be sufficient for my vehicles and will I need adapters?

Update: I just spoke with Branick customer service and there are two differences between the 7400 and the 7600. The first is that the 7600 has an extra inch of travel to accommodate the Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk and the other is the 7600 has a guard on the front so that the damper rod bolt has to be removed from the side as opposed to the front (for safety reasons). Apparently this requires using a swivel adapter if using an impact wrench. Other than that, they are the same unit. Considering I will never own a Jeep Cherokee, I think I will opt for the 7400.

Last edited by mossman; 12-30-14 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-14, 03:13 PM
Temporarily Suspended
If the company has complaints from the BBB, take a look at rockauto.com

Old 12-30-14, 06:40 PM
Think I'll just get the 7400 from Amazon. No one can beat the price.

Last edited by mossman; 12-30-14 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-31-14, 04:52 PM
the ratings must have been on the Vendor, Not the machine.
I have used one since about 1997, when the Ford Thunderbird was re-introduced.
after multiple purchases, looking for Something that would work on this particular model. We came accross the Branick.
It may be a little slower, on some of the springs that are not as difficult to work with. But it, in general is GREAT

Old 01-01-15, 05:48 AM
Sorry if my post was confusing. The poor review was for that particular seller. I've seen nothing but stellar reviews for the tool itself. It will be here on the 6th. I'm excited about finally being able to struts myself without having to worry about some cheap compressor tool snappi.g on me (happened with a cheap HF tool I tried last year).