Need Advice on Waxing

Old 01-21-15, 12:44 PM
Need Advice on Waxing

Just had my 2002 Tundra detailed. The paint was pretty dull and he did a 3 stage polish and it looks good. Detailer told me there is no wax on it, but there should be. He would have charged and addl $100 and did not have time today.

What wax should I use and are any of these DIY buffers worth having? I haven't waxed a car in 30 yrs. Unfortunately, my truck has to live outside in pretty brutal sun @ 5,500 ft elevation.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-15, 12:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never paid to have a car detailed or waxed but have waxed most of the ones I've owned. IMO most any of the paste car waxes do fine although I am a little partial to Turtle Wax.

Old 01-21-15, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
I'd probably lean towards Meguires or Mothers myself. Always found them to be a bit easier to apply and remove.

I guess the real choice is if you use real wax (carnuba) or a synthetic (silicone). I know most classic car owners only use real wax. Not 60's and 70's classics...the real old ones from the 30s and 40s.

Another thing...

In between each 30 yr wax job, use something like Eagle 1 Nanowax spray detailer or similar, it really does work and lasts longer than they say normally. Of course I'm only at 3500 ft in brutal sun and dusty, windy conditions, so I could be wrong...lol.

Old 01-21-15, 06:28 PM
The hard part is done, the easy part is the waxing. I use Meguiar's NXT Tech wax 2.0. It is unbelieveably easy to apply and remove. Once a year is fine, but I do mine twice a year.

are any of these DIY buffers worth having?
They are fine for the cleaning stage that you had done already or applying the wax, but I never use a machine with the wax phase at all, don't need to. A microfiber towel is all I use.

Old 01-22-15, 07:55 AM
ThanksAll

I'll giterdun when the snow melts off. However, having a vehicle detailed in January probably insures 14 more weeks of winter.

Old 01-22-15, 07:57 AM
Group Moderator
Towels as well for me, like Joe. I am also partial to Meguires but in your case I think the most important thing would be to just get a wax, not a polishing or cleaning wax, as your vehicle has already had that step performed.

Old 01-22-15, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Every person that I knew that had one of the machines wound up with swirl marks all over the car. Knew a guy that had 2 BMWs for him and his wife (he must have done better investing than me) and the blue one really just looked terrible in the right light. The white one you couldn't see anything.

I agree with Mitch and Joe...microfiber cloths for removal, they are really cheap in a bulk pack...and swap them often...though a good clean cotton towel is ok as well IMO.

Old 01-22-15, 08:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Back in the day I didn't think there was anything better than a cloth diaper to buff out the wax, now days I'm apt to use an old clean towel.