Wheel bearing

Old 02-07-15, 01:08 PM
Wheel bearing

How is the best way to find out if I have a bad wheel bearing on 2008 ford f150.I think I may have one that is bad

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-15, 01:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the hub hot after having driven? how does the tire rotate when you jack it up? Is this on the front or back? I'd remove the front bearings, inspect them and pack and reinstall if they seem good.

Old 02-09-15, 09:22 PM
front wheel bearing

The bad wheel bearing is on front drivers side.when driving down the road it roars pretty bad worse at slower speed.Also if I turn steering wheel to right while driving it really gets loud and if I turn to left it completely stops.Can I just replace bearing or will I have to replace whole assembly.Thanks

Old 02-10-15, 04:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As far as I know you can replace just the bearing but I've never worked on a ford that new. If it's built like a jeep you have to replace the hub either way it's not a difficult job.

Old 02-10-15, 05:16 AM
Temporarily Suspended
The race should be replaced too. That's the piece that gets pressed into the hub. However, sometimes I get lazy & don't replace it.

Old 02-10-15, 05:51 AM
Group Moderator
If you have driven on it too long it will have welded itself to the spindle and they will have to replace that too. If you catch it early it's a cheap repair.

Old 02-10-15, 06:33 AM
The front is a sealed hub assembly that will cost from $100-$200 online. Don't get the cheapest--get the mid-grade to high-end part. Cheapies often only last a year.

If you've never replaced one yourself they often are easy with standard tools but sometimes the hub gets "locked" into the steering knuckle due to corrosion and needs a slide hammer or hub puller to extract. I've also found it very helpful to use an air hammer to drive the axle spline out of the center of the hub (if you have 4WD). Way easier and less damaging than an 8# hammer ;-)
Paint a little anti-seize on these sticky parts so it's easier next time. If you keep it a few years you WILL be doing it again!