best built motor homes from the 90's

Old 02-22-15, 07:17 AM
best built motor homes from the 90's

I'm about to start looking for a class a and would like to narrow it down if I can. The interiors all look the same and I'll change mine to what I want but I'd like to start with a good foundation/construction. Plywood floors instead of chipboard, solid framing, etc. I appreciate any suggestions to look for or stay away from.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-15, 02:45 PM
Group Moderator
I work on them but I can't say I have a particular choice or recommendation.
I do see less structural problems with the higher end units.... which would be the 300K and up units.

Are you getting a diesel pusher type ?
A good site to scope out...... Class A Motorhomes - RV Consumer Group

Old 02-22-15, 04:23 PM
Haven't decided. I know gas engines better and think they may be cheaper to have work done on them. Rear engine makes more sense to me but most gas are front engine. Kinda depends on what's there when I get the money together. Also, I don't want to drive around with this thing. Maybe move a couple times a year. It's going to be more to live in than travel in. I'm thinking about 30 foot will be adequate, still maneuverable and not too heavy or underpowered with a 460 or 454.

Old 02-22-15, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the link PJmax. I've read all through that website. Good info. Do you know of certain common brands from the '90's that used plywood for instance? Decent framing and overall construction? I suppose different factories, even individuals had an impact on quality. I'll probably have to inspect each unit separately without much regard to brand. After all, even cars from the same factory can vary greatly in how they perform over time.

Old 03-09-15, 12:19 PM
Stay away from the Ford V-10 Triton. Nothing but problems with spark plugs blowing out and exhaust studs breaking. Big Dollar repair bills when this happens.

Old 03-09-15, 12:23 PM
One other consideration with gas engines. Pretty well all the big blocks will eventually get warped exhaust manifolds, so if you hear an exhaust leak, it probably isn't just a gasket, but they may agree to replace it and all sounds good for a short time. Most owners will switch to "Banks" exhaust system or similar, to eliminate that happening again and also help to improve power and mileage.