2001 Dodge 1500 4X4 Sport (4x4 problems)

Old 03-09-15, 07:03 AM
2001 Dodge 1500 4X4 Sport (4x4 problems)

When I shift to 4X4 I can hear and feel it shift into gear, but my front tires will not pull. I did notice when I bought the truck the vacum line was broke and I connected a rubber tube and clamped it around the aluminum tube to make the connection. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-15, 07:45 AM
Temporarily Suspended
When you say that the front tires won't pull, are you saying that it's really not shifting all the way? Vacuum could have something to do with it. What about transmission fluid? Did you check it?

Old 03-09-15, 08:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I realize at this point you may not have much info but while the post is kinda limited on info, I'll offer some basic comments (questions).

The transfer case is locking in, but drive shaft from transfer case to front end is missing..??
Possibly the drive shaft from transfer case to the front end is there but gears in front end are missing or broken..??
Axle(s) in front end are missing..?? Not likely but...

Keep in mind (I don't know how much you know about the basic of 4 wheel drive system or mechanics in general), the transfer case is what you're feeling shift into gear (not actually the front end), so from that point to the front end & out to the wheels could be the problem.

Anything else you can think of to add would be helpful...

Old 03-09-15, 10:22 AM
Group Moderator
You have a vacuum actuator. It's one reason you will often see the 4wd light on the dash lag when disengaging the 4wd. If you've already spotted a vacuum line problem I'd start checking there before worrying about broken gears.

Old 03-10-15, 08:46 AM
Yes has transmission fluid. When shifting into 4X4 it will go into gear but the front wheels will not pull.

Old 03-10-15, 08:49 AM
Ok, the 4wd dash light never comes on. Im thinking it could be because I used a rubber hose for the vacum line it could be pulling to much vacum that the hose is collapsing.

Old 03-10-15, 10:27 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't think that the hose is collapsing but it can't hurt to replace it.

Old 03-10-15, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
The transfer case engages immediately with moving the lever via a mechanical link but the front end is actuated by vacuum and I think the switch that turns on the 4WD dash light is located up there as well so you don't get the light until the front end is locked. When you take it out of 4WD it sometimes can take a few seconds for the vacuum to bleed down for the front end to unlock. It also helps if the drive train is not bound when unlocking as the pressure on the drive train can keep it locked.

Old 03-10-15, 06:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It is located on the right side of the front axle. Make sure it isn't broken anywhere else. Mine was broken in two places which bugged me until I decided to replace the entire hose run. Then I found the second crack. As stated your 4WD is engaging, but the hubs are not locking due to lack of vacuum. Remember, too, on a Dodge, when you come out of 4WD to move the truck in the opposite direction for a few feet to completely release the hubs.

My truck as well as Dane's are diesels, but the configuration is basically the same for gassers.

Old 03-22-15, 07:51 AM
Thanks for all the help. At this point I think I am going to start by replacing all the 4x4 vacuum lines and go from there.