How to get faster warm ups on carbureted engines

Old 03-21-15, 12:14 PM
How to get faster warm ups on carbureted engines

Hi guys, I hate my chevy truck, it takes 10-15 minutes to warm up before it wants to move.
Its a nice truck but the warm ups kill me it takes so long.

Is there a way or something to put on it to warm it up faster?
EGR had been removed, all smog stuff removed.

There is a flap on the muffler I have tied open because it sticks shut rattls and makes noise

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-15, 12:20 PM
Group Moderator
What does the carburetor have for a choke ?
What year is the truck ?

Old 03-21-15, 12:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I hate my chevy truck
that's why I like my fords

As pete suggested it sounds like a choke issue. We really need to know what year and engine you have.

Old 03-21-15, 01:53 PM
Group Moderator
Does the engine still have a coolant thermostat? If it's been removed or if it's stuck open it will dramatically lengthen the warm up time.

Old 03-21-15, 03:36 PM
its a 79 chevy PU 350 with q-jet electric choke. I dont know if it has a thermostat but im pretter sure it does

Old 03-21-15, 03:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it runs ok but won't put out any heat for awhile - that's a thermostat issue. If it runs rough until it warms up that is often a carb issue. How long since the last tune up? Is the air filter clean?

Old 03-21-15, 05:50 PM
There is a flap on the muffler I have tied open because it sticks shut rattls and makes noise
You need to replace this item as it is on there to direct exhaust gases across intake manifold under carburetor for warm up purposes. It came from factory with a vacuum operated actuator that used vacuum routed through a temperature controlled vacuum operated switch mounted at front of intake manifold near thermostat housing.
As others have stated the choke need to be functioning also. There should be a choke pull off (vacuum operated) on back right of carb and an electrically powered choke heater should be operational on right side of carb. Assure these are operational and your problems should be solved.

I have repaired many of these after a butcher job from someone not understanding the relationship of all things needing to work together for drivability of vehicle.

RR

Old 03-21-15, 06:13 PM
More than likely, Rooster is right about the fact that you should replace the exhaust manifold valve, because it is critical to proper warm up. But first, you said that it "sticks shut", but I'm guessing maybe not all of the time since you also said that it rattles. That valve is supposed to be close at cold start up, and remain closed until it reaches a certain temperature, then remain open for the duration of your trip. And the fact that it rattles is not unique, as many of them did from the time that they were new. Typically, there is a temperature controlled spring, and sometimes a counterweight that control this valve, and they had a tendency to flop around as you drove down the road, or just from the vibration of the engine. So check it cold, make sure it's closed, then see if it opens. If not, yes, replace it. Also, along with that, the reason that this valve closes is to redirect warm air through the intake manifold, directly beneath the carburetor. Some engines were more prone to this than others, but sometimes the tube in the manifold that the warm air passes through would build up with carbon, often to the point that it was darn near as hard as the manifold itself, and you would have to hot tank the manifold in order to clear it.

edit... sorry, for some reason not all of Rooster's message came up for me the first time, and I did not see where he mentioned this one is vacuum controlled. I cannot remember who was doing what which way and when, Ford, GM, Chrysler, etc., so go with what he said about vacuum control.