2003 chevy s-10 oil pan gasket leak

Old 04-08-15, 07:01 AM
2003 chevy s-10 oil pan gasket leak

Good morning, my 2003 Chevy S-10, with a 4.3L V-6 has developed a leak from the oil pan gasket. My mechanic says the engine has to be pulled and he estimated the cost at $1360 to do it. He said the book claims you have to pull the engine, is that true and does the estimate seem fair?

Thanks, Fritoguy15

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-15, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator
Yes if its 2 wheel drive. I have a 4x4 S10 and the engine only needs to be lifted and bell housing moved..

Ummm how many miles on the truck?

If your removing the engine there are other things that should be done too, like rear engine main seal and such..

Did they try snugging the bolts on the oil pan? Its unusual for it to start leaking IMO. Can the oil be coming from somewhere else?

Just a note mines been leaking oil from various places for years.. I add a quart of oil every 2500 miles or so.. Its like an old harley....lol

1300 bucks isnt bad, but I would be inclined to put a new motor in possibly...

Old 04-08-15, 07:48 AM
Yes it is a 2 wheel drive, the rear main seal is what we thought it was at first, but when he pulled the transmission back he saw it was the oil pan gasket and not the rear seal. It has 98,000 miles on it, so I guess I'm lucky it lasted this long I've read where some started leaking at only 30,000 miles. We tried to lift the engine to fix but the pan won't come out so we tried to apply some liquid gasket but that didn't work.

Old 04-08-15, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
IDK. I have 160K on mine. These 4.3's are known to have crank/piston.bearing issues at the 150k mark.

I had some engine noise and ran a quart of trans fluid in the engine oil. Seemed to clean out the motor and reduce the noise. Goes away when warmed up..

If I had to pull my motor for whatever reason a new motor would go in. I would not even rebuild because they made improvments with the replacements..

Just for example purpose below, you can get a reman motor for 1600 bucks..

4.3L Chevy Engine | GM 4.3 Engine - Accurate Engines

And here are the barnett motors.. Note there is a whole to do about the plastic timing covers vs something else. And also on what motor you actually have.. I have the 96 X motor although there were W motors too..

https://www.barnettesengines.com/upl...evyfeb2015.pdf

Just saying is all....

Old 04-08-15, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the info, I can barely afford this repair let alone a new motor. Maybe on down the road if it is needed but for now this has been a good truck till this started.

Fritoguy15