Can you engage bad starter motor with battery charger 100 amp engine start?

Old 04-19-15, 10:26 PM
Can you engage bad starter motor with battery charger 100 amp engine start?

My truck won't start today. I could hear the clicking but the starter wouldn't crank. I also noticed the headlights dimmed to almost nothing when I turned the ignition key to start.

I own one of those battery chargers with 100 amp engine start feature. When I gave it 100 amps, the engine was able to start.

Would the 100 amp engine start activate a dead starter motor?. I guess I want to make sure it's not a bad starter motor before I buy a battery.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-15, 04:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure of the question. You said you applied the charger and it started the truck. That would indicate that it activated the starter. I'd have my batteries checked under load first. If it started with only a 100 amp start charge, then it would start with a fresh battery. Batteries always die the day after they go out of warranty, just for information

Old 04-20-15, 05:04 AM
If the starter worked under the "start" mode of the charger then it's OK. You battery is toast. It's possible the starter electrical resistance might be going up with age but should be so much that a good battery can't over come it.

Old 04-20-15, 05:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I also noticed the headlights dimmed to almost nothing when I turned the ignition key to start.
That generally indicates a weak or discharged battery. Have you used the charger to try and bring the battery to a full charge? As noted above you need to have the battery tested [preferably after it's been fully charged] Most auto parts stores will test it for free.

Old 04-20-15, 07:00 AM
Yes, I tried charging it. I don't get it. The terminals are clean and the battery is only 19 months old. And I make sure the cells are topped off with distilled water. The alternator is ok.

This would have to happen now. I can't the lift the battery because I had hernia surgery last month. I hope someone at the auto parts store will do it.

Old 04-20-15, 07:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They probably have a load tester they can bring out to the vehicle. At less than 2 yrs the battery should be under warranty.

Old 04-20-15, 07:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not only will they test it, they will change it out for a new one at no additional cost other than the battery itself. They may try to upsell you on some terminal grease but other than that you need not have to lift anything.

Old 04-20-15, 07:41 AM
It only took about 5 minutes to charge it this morning. The starter cranked slowly. But truck started.

Yesterday, I found a rag wrapped tightly around the starter motor. What's that all about? The truck was recently at the transmission repair place for an extended period of time.

Old 04-20-15, 07:57 AM
Convenient place for a mechanic to keep his rag dry. Now that more information is coming in, there may be different answers. Always helps to know it all. If they pulled the transmission, the starter may have been pulled as well, and not aligned with the flywheel correctly. That is a wild shot, and I still think your battery is the culprit. If you take the truck in for battery testing, take it to a place that handles that particular brand of battery (if not factory), if you can. That way, if it is under warranty, they can honor it without a lot of hassle.

Old 04-20-15, 10:35 AM
I doubt they removed the starter motor. It's not in the way.
But the truck was idle for many days while they rebuilt trans a second time under warranty.

I have had problems with an auto parts store giving me a hard time about battery warranty. I've seen them try to get out of warranty if there is any juice at all left in the battery...................but not enough to start the car.

One guy said he completely kills off the battery by leaving high beams on overnight. Then they won't try to get out of the warranty. I'll test the battery.

Old 04-20-15, 12:14 PM
I think you are beating yourself up before you try. I had one to replace on an older car. Went to the parts house that sells them and asked for an identical battery. He plopped the battery on the counter with an exchange receipt for $0, even trade. Blew my mind. IF the battery test OK, you don't need one. If it is bad, then it is bad. No need to try and hoodwink them with the light trick. They are testing the plates inside, not the charge of the battery, so it probably wouldn't work, anyway.

Old 04-20-15, 12:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've replaced several batteries under warranty over the years. Didn't matter if it was free replacement or pro rated, if the battery tested bad - they replaced it. As far as I know they won't replace a batter just because it is discharged but if a fully charged battery will fail the load test - it's a bad battery.

Old 04-20-15, 04:09 PM
A nineteen month old battery should last a bit longer but I have seen similar. A lot depends on how the vehicle is used. A battery has only so many cycles in it. If you were to start the truck say 100 times a day in cold weather every day then yes a two year battery won't last two years. I've had batteries last 7 years and some less than a year. As others have said if it won't hold a charge then no matter if its been run down or not won't make a difference. A jump on "STARTING" mode using a charger will almost always work even if used with dead battery or a battery that won't take a charge. Any reputable car parts store will offer a pro-rated cost difference on a new unit.

Old 04-20-15, 06:54 PM
Chandler,

I was wrong. You were correct. For my make/model they do remove the starter motor when removing the transmission. I just checked the starter motor. The electrical connections and mounting seem to be ok.

I was able to start the engine five times today. I get the same pattern. Starter struggles and cranks slowly. But the engine starts strong.

Do you still think it's the battery? The headlights dim when turning ignition key to start.

Old 04-20-15, 07:33 PM
Yep. Battery............................

Old 04-20-15, 08:51 PM
Battery replaced. Back in business. Thanks