Hardwiring GPS Ford E-350

Old 05-27-15, 08:59 PM
Hardwiring GPS Ford E-350

I bought a Garmin Dezl and the only place where I can place it is top of the windshield right in the middle where a rear view mirror on a car would go. Problem is the cigarette lighter is near the steering wheel and I need to run power to it.
I was thinking of removing the headliner and tap into the dome light unfortunately I only have 2 wires (ground and post door switch) so the GPS would shut off as soon as I close the door.

Other option is to run all along the windshield to the cig lighter with a 12V extension. The connection where I would connect both connectors would probably be where the door cover is but I heard that some GPS have the antenna in the actual charger so the plastic would be covering the antenna and also I am not even sure if I could fit the connector inside that plastic cover either.

Other thing is if I could find a mini USB extension which is pretty hard to find!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-15, 10:07 PM
Group Moderator
My E-350 has no windows so I removed the mirror and that's were my GPS is located. I let the wire hang straight down and tuck it under the dash.... just above the engine cover.

If your GPS has traffic then it picks up traffic broadcasts from major FM stations on one of their digital sub channels. The antenna is built into the power cord.

Old 05-28-15, 05:32 AM
So basically the cable is running down right in the middle of the windshield?

Old 05-28-15, 07:23 AM
Group Moderator
Yes... straight down.

I wanted to keep the cord exposed for best traffic reception or I would have run it thru the headliner and to the fuse box.