Does motor mount replacement ever cause problems?

Old 06-18-15, 07:53 AM
Does motor mount replacement ever cause problems?

Hello,

I have a 92' Ford Ranger XLT with 2.9 V6 engine. I'm getting the motor mounts replaced Monday. I'm guessing they have to lift up the engine a few inches or so. I'm concerned about wiring harnesses/connectors or fluid lines being pulled loose or broken when they raise the engine.

To give you an example; my oxygen sensor wire connector disconnected recently when I was doing some maintenance under the truck. I discovered the plastic clip on the wire connector broke off. Right now, it is fastened with velcro straps. So I have some old wiring parts on this truck. I've never had motor mounts replaced before. Is this type of repair generally free of complications?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-15, 09:30 AM
They shouldn't have to lift the engine any more than to remove the weight from the motor mounts . . . . or about as far up as the most severe road hazard might be expected to throw your engine up, and for which your suspension system should have been designed.

And just as the suspension system allows for and should accommodate that much movement, so too should all of the wiring and fluid lines and hoses.

Old 06-18-15, 11:17 AM
Hey, I didn't think of that. So does that mean when you drive over a large bump or pothole, the engine is momentarily lifting off the rubber mounts?

Old 06-18-15, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by bluesbreaker,
". . . does that mean when you drive over a large bump or pothole, the engine is momentarily lifting off the rubber mounts? . . ."
Not completely "off" because there is (or should be) a retaining slip bolt restricting the upward movement, or some kind of cage surrounding the rubber mount.

If the engine comes completely off the motor mount, it's because some aspect of the motor mount is broken (like that retaining bolt), and then you'll be likely to experience other handling problems . . . . among other irregularities.

I'm no automotive engineer or technician, and my book knowledge is dated, so hopefully someone who's professionally engaged in these aspects will chime in here.

I'm just glad to hear that someone has taken care of a 1992 vehicle well enough that it's still worth investing in new motor mounts . . . . you must be planning on keeping it a few more decades ?

Old 06-18-15, 03:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just be glad it wasn't a 1966 Chevy Nova with a V8. Had to lift the engine off the mounts 6" to get to #8 spark plug. Another engineering faux pax in the automotive field. Hey, it fit, run it.

Old 06-18-15, 04:32 PM
Yes, this is true. I've kept up with repairs and maintenance to make it worth the expense of replacing the 23 year old motor mounts. Every major system on this truck has been rebuilt: engine, transmission, rear axle, driveline, not to mention countless other parts. I'll always have this truck, even it just becomes a secondary vehicle

Six inches to raise the motor on 66' Nova for a spark plug? Ridiculous. Thanks for educating me on this motor mount thing

Old 06-19-15, 05:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Changed many motor mounts and never had a problem with things like you said. Some times things have to be removed to get to to mounts.

Old 06-19-15, 07:13 AM
That's good to hear. Thanks

Old 06-22-15, 07:07 PM
Jacking up an engine puts more strain on the exhaust than anything.

Old 06-23-15, 08:03 AM
That's interesting to know about the exhaust. I had the mounts installed yesterday. It runs fine. I checked under the hood to make sure everything is ok. Now I need to crawl under the truck and make sure everything is fine there too.

The repair invoice actually came in about $60 less than the estimate. How often does that happen!