Gas pump doesn't shut off during refueling when tank is near full

Old 06-23-15, 09:11 AM
Gas pump doesn't shut off during refueling when tank is near full

Hello again,

I have a 92' Ford Ranger Supercab with 2.9 V6. I'm up around 369,000 miles now. Lately when I fill my gas tank, gasoline gushes or spurts out when the tank is full. I know normally the gas pump shuts off automatically when tank is full. Anybody know what causes this?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-15, 09:16 AM
Group Moderator
If I remember correctly it's a kinked vent line at the filler tube. If you look under the vehicle at the filler neck.... you'll see the large line for the gas and then you should see a much smaller line. That's the vent line. It may be kinked or clogged between the filler neck and the tank.

Old 06-23-15, 10:16 AM
I just had the fuel pump replaced last week. Wouldn't they check the fuel vent too? is this something I can do easily or does it involve disassembly? I've had this problem for a long time.

Old 06-23-15, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Did this problem happen before or after the fuel pump was replaced ?

If it was happening before you should have mentioned it to the mechanic as he could have checked for a plugged vent line.

Old 06-23-15, 06:47 PM
No it was happening before the fuel pump replacement. Maybe he'll take care of it under warranty. Is this going to cause a failure on the emissions test?

Old 06-23-15, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
No... I wouldn't think so.

The emission tests on a 1992 vehicle are pretty lax.

Old 06-24-15, 01:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fuel pump in the tank? can't remember but if there when reinstalling tank could of pinched vent line.

Old 06-24-15, 08:40 AM
Yes, It's an in-tank fuel pump. This condition started sometime after the tank filler neck hose was replaced back in 2014

Should I rule out another possible cause like the vapor/charcoal canister in the engine compartment? This part is 23 years old now.

There is some space above the fuel tank. Is there enough space for me to reach the vent line?

I feel that this repair shop that installed the fuel pump last week should have checked the vent line. Maybe they will include it under warranty. It only cost me one hour of labor to have the filler neck hose replaced in 2014. They seem like good people

Old 06-24-15, 08:50 AM
In your case the vent line might be kinking--or pinched-- as the tank is being raised into position. I also had that problem a few years ago when I replaced a fuel pump in my car. The vent line was supposed to stay put in one of the tank grooves as it was being raised into position--but got pinched against the trunk floor. With no air venting into the tank as fuel was pumped out the result was my car would stall after driving about 30 minutes. This drove me bonkers until I figured it out.

Old 06-25-15, 08:51 PM
Anytime I have ever had that problem, I changed to a different pump or a different gas station.
I think the shutoff is controlled by the pump nozzle.
I NEVER set a gas nozzle to automatic. I never "play" with something that dangerous, but see people do that and walk into the store!

Old 06-26-15, 04:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I experience this with my diesel truck, but only at one fuel station. Their cut off is not set properly, and I know it. When the register gets close to the amount I think it will hold, I ease off on it so only a small amount pukes out. I too think changing stations may help before getting into the vent tube thingy.

Old 07-15-15, 06:14 PM
I did an experiment. I disconnected the vapor canister hose in the engine compartment when I filled my tank. The first time, that tank filled up to the brim and the gasoline pump shut off at the right time.

I did the same experiment again, and this time the fuel tank overflowed and spurted out gas. I don't know. I still think the problem is my truck venting system. This never happened in the past.

Old 07-16-15, 07:29 AM
I couldn't figure out how a tank vent could turn the pump off so I looked it up.

Most modern pumps have an auto cut-off feature that stops the flow when the tank is full. This is done with a second tube, the sensing tube, that runs from just inside the mouth of the nozzle up to a Venturi pump in the pump handle. A mechanical valve in the pump handle detects this change of pressure and closes, preventing the flow of fuel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_d...fuel_dispenser

Old 08-04-15, 04:29 PM
Yes. I also read about that valve that senses the change in pressure and triggers the pump shutoff.

By the way, my tank has not been overflowing when filling to the top lately. The gas pump has been shutting off at the right time. It was spurting out every time in the past so it had to be something with my truck. Sort of puzzling that now it decided to stop doing it