07 Dodge Ram AC/Heat fan

Old 07-22-15, 03:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
07 Dodge Ram AC/Heat fan

On an 07 Dodge Ram 1500, my AC/heat fan inside the cab just quit working. I have had no trouble out of the fan until this afternoon when getting off work. I got in the truck, started it, turned the AC on & turned the fan to high. The AC is on but the fan isnt working on any speeds, or any selection whether AC, heat, defrost, floor ... nothing.

I checked the fuse box under the hood by the battery but I didn't see anything that indicated the fan but I did look at a fuse for some kinda fan something & one for something to do with HVAC, but none were blown. I'm kinda at a loss here.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-15, 03:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Under the dash behind the Motor is a resistor. It has gone south. You only have WAO speed. May be about $30 to replace but it plugs in. One screw to release.

Old 07-22-15, 03:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
OK, I just went out & unpluged the connection that has two wires, I unplugged it, checked both wires with the key on & one side has 13+ v but the other side (wire) doesnt indicate any voltage.

???

Bad fan or you still think its the resistor?

Edit: I checked that connection & there was no power to any of the 4 wires to the resistor

Old 07-22-15, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
Put the plug back into the fan. Check the wires again. One should be at 13+v and the other should be at ground for fan full speed. If you now read 13v on both wires.... the resistor block is defective.

You can ground the one that was 0v and fan should run at full speed.

Old 07-22-15, 05:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Went to O'Reily's & asked if he would let me take a blower motor out & try it. He did, so I took it to the truck, plugged the harness in & it worked.

So, one blower motor & $90 later, its fixed.

Thanks for your help & input

Old 07-22-15, 05:25 PM
What Pete said. You'd better hope it isn't the fan going bad. Scene 1. Everything from the windshield to the floor shift (if you have one) will come out of the truck, including dropping the steering wheel. Let us know what happens.

Old 07-22-15, 05:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Chandler, We posted at the same time I think. As for trouble to replace, It was easy, it just mounts right under the glove box with three screws & snap the wiring harness in place. Easy job... took maybe 15 minutes.

Again, thanks for all the input...

Old 07-22-15, 05:37 PM
Yeah, not too much trouble for the resistor. I guess with newer models they figured to make it harder to undo with 3 screws. Mine is a 2001. Will turn over 455,000 tomorrow.

Old 07-22-15, 05:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
This was replacing the blower motor not the resistor. Actually the resistor was right beside the blower motor & has one screw & a wiring harness. So maybe less than 5 minutes to change a resistor. It was about $45 which I didn't get.

Old 07-22-15, 06:19 PM
Oh, you DID change the blower. I thought you just borrowed one to see if the resistor worked. So your blower is separate from the ductwork. Mine is embedded, along with the cooling coil, heating coil and dampers. Real PITA to change out anything. I learned, replace it all when the dash comes out