Dumbest thing I saw in long time!!!

Old 08-25-15, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
Dumbest thing I saw in long time!!!

Man instead of doing this idiotic thing to prove a point the $$$ they wasted should of went to feed the homeless or something...

Arrrrgggg... only in America...

part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDQZu8K51ZY&list=PLsSQoIGhBLpTEbV4Y5GFNbmvvhQidvm0Q&index=10

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-15, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
Geeze. Why not just ask what the repair rates were? Oh wait they did and they were answered. So how many Buds before they got this brilliant idea?

Old 08-26-15, 06:16 PM
You can be sure that these videos made Edmunds money because this is what they do. I was a bit surprised, however, to find the normal hourly rate for aluminum body work is about twice that of steel bodywork, what is the justification for that? All in all, I do like the new recycled beer can Fords!

Old 08-27-15, 03:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wonder if aluminum work costs more in part because it's not something they are real familiar with ??

Old 08-27-15, 05:19 AM
I would suspect that also and maybe some additional equipment for aluminum repair but would expect the price may eventually come down if aluminum becomes more common I see no reason why it would require a higher labor rate.
but who wouldn't want to smash a ford with a sledge hammer

Old 08-27-15, 06:24 AM
The irony in paying more for aluminum panel repairs is that in many cases it's quicker and easier than steel because nowadays adhesives are replacing welds. Cut out the bad, flange the surround, glue in a patch. Adhesives don't distort panels like welding heat so the finish work is quicker, too. Bondo, feather, prime & paint. You spend more time waiting for materials to dry/cure than in actual labor.

Maybe they charge double NOT because it's harder but because it's so quick they have to charge more for the job to be as profitable as steel.

Old 08-27-15, 01:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why not use polymer panels? I remember wifey's former Saturn. All panels were polymer. Dent and scratch proof. If it got dented it would pop back out with no paint damage. Of course the only panels not Polymer were the ones that went across the back and front of the car. THOSE are the ones she backed into trees with

Old 08-27-15, 07:46 PM
Mike's original remark was why did they do this idiotic thing. Joe answered that question. It's not too different than what Consumer's Reports do. Using the sledge hammer was kind of stupid. I would've rather seen an actual collision. Why not use another car to bump the truck and get a real life damage condition.

Old 08-27-15, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator
I only posted this as dumb not because of steel vs aluminum... I posted because they bought a 50k plus truck and hit it with a hammer to prove something they would have known by asking anyone at the dealers...

Seems they wanted to do minimal damage..

Money wasted for eye candy IMO. Whats their tax write off? Feed the homeless. donate to food banks.. sheesh...

My point is its a waste of money..

And a gear head like me thought it was stupid...

What do they do with these cars when they are done with them?

Rear end that truck and I see 10000 plus worth of damage getting only tapped...... Maybe they will total these vehicles more often then the old days.. smash two tail lights and thats 2 K. ( LED technology... excellent!!!!) It will add up quick IMO..

Old 08-27-15, 07:58 PM
The ironic part is that all these new electronic gadgets (led lights and what-not) cost very little. So why integrate them into an assembly that actually doubles or triples the repair/replacement cast? That's what fry's my taters.