Possible thoughts of getting an RV

Old 08-30-15, 07:39 PM
Possible thoughts of getting an RV

The wife and I are "thinking" (key word is thinking only) about the possibility of buying an RV. Perhaps a better word is wetting our curiosity. We even went so far as to look in a show room. But we are not ready to buy. We are not even sure if we want to get one. So I thought I would ask a few questions here and get some general information. If our interest increases I would join an RV forum and get more details.

I might add here that we have a pop-up camper that we used only occasionally by ourselves. The kids use it often and pretty much maintain it. Anyway our initial thought is a Class A style in the 24' to 30' range. The reason for this choice is two fold. The wife wants (needs) in camper toilet facilities, and I don't want to tow a camper (but would be willing to tow a small car behind it on occasions). If I was to get the tow behind type I would need to buy another vehicle to tow it, and I'm not ready to buy an RV and a truck. We do not do extensive camping, but this would be the incentive for the misses to want to do some. Also an occasional cross country trip would be in the offing. I know very little about RV's (although, I'm beginning to get educated through my older son who is into it big time. He just got a tow behind RV with all the bells and whistles).

So what am I looking for from my fellow forum members? Two things. One, general thoughts and info. Two, what is the feasibility and practicality of towing a small car behind a class A RV on occasions? Those occasions would be setting up a camp site in a state park and then using the car to get to various places in the park.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-15, 07:50 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I've seen one or two people tow a car behind an RV. I don't know what type of gas millage RVs get but my guess is less than 10. Personally, I'd rather have a full size van & stay in a hotel.

Old 08-31-15, 12:06 AM
Group Moderator
Where do I start. My parents have had motor homes for years. Luckily they have me to maintain it. They are a money pit and require continuous maintenance. You'll need a place to keep it.... preferably not under trees as they stain it. They love camping in it and try to go out once a month.

They tow a Jeep Cherokee behind it. Fuel mileage is around 8mpg/diesel.
It's a 2008 34' Holiday Rambler "Neptune"

Old 08-31-15, 04:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have friends and relatives who RV. As Pete said, you need a place to "store" it out of the bad stuff. From what I understand, there is a hole in the middle of the floor where you dump money, never to be seen again I would suggest purchasing a maintenance program with it, as it will need constant "fixing" to keep it right. My friend has one with his RV, and says he would not be able to make it from NC to NY without the policy/program. On the other hand, my uncle and aunt RV constantly and seem to never have problems. Could be the research. The only problem they had was when they camped near us and had a breakdown. They called a mechanic on Sunday to make the repair. They mentioned my name, since Young Harris is a small town, and he told them, sure he knew me. He happened to be my diesel mechanic. Small world.

Old 08-31-15, 04:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We have some friends in fla that used to have a larger RV. He said he had to carefully select a tow vehicle because many can not be flat towed due to transmission issues. They recently sold their RV and got a good bit less than they expected but since they are both in their 80's it was time.

If I'm not mistaken the only way you can tow a 4x4 jeep is to put the transmission in park and the transfer case in neutral.

Old 08-31-15, 05:46 AM
Best way is to rent one first.
There's lots of national company's that rent them one way cheap to relocate them with the changing seasons, to bring new units from the factory to the dealers ECT.
Just Google "RV rentals".
Unless I was retiring and was going to live in it full time, there's no way I would buy one.
Bet you'll find about 95% or more of the time it just sits in the yard.
Lots of retirees get free lot rent and a small income traveling around with the seasons working at the camp grounds.
Cruise America: RV Rental Hot Deals

Old 08-31-15, 07:05 AM
Rv

The length class A you mentioned will most likely have a corner bed. When we were shopping for a motor home, the corner bed was a deal breaker.

Do extensive research concerning the towing capacity of the RV. Then research the sizes and makes of vehicles which can be towed. Not all vehicles are towable with four wheels on the ground. I would not want to use a tow dolly due to the extra expense and having to find a space to park the dolly while not in use.

My first choice would be a class A diesel pusher.

Check the laws in your neighborhood concerning parking(storing) RV's.

Old 08-31-15, 06:38 PM
Thanks to everyone who commented. I have lots to think about.

Old 08-31-15, 09:22 PM
What is a "dealers ECT"?

I've never understood the appeal of taking your house with you when you travel. I like having a maid clean up the bathroom and making the bed. I like eating in a restaurant or cafe and having someone else cook the food as well as doing the shopping, preparation and clean-up afterwards.

If I have to do grocery shopping as well as well as meal prep and all the other household chores I might as well stay home.

Old 09-01-15, 04:27 AM
I think he means et cetera ?

Old 09-01-15, 04:32 AM
What is a "dealers ECT"?

Don't know, don't care!

Furd, to each his own. Personally, eating out is over rated. It's fine occasionally but not more than once or twice a month. Living in one's own quarters is much more comfortable than living out of a suit case. Of course I have a partner to share all this with me. I might feel different when that is no longer the case. But to get back to an RV, is the ability to go places and not worry about reservations or spending money on motels. But of course one has paid for those accommodations thrice over on an RV. The other thing is that RV'ing is mainly for "camping" away from the urban areas. For me tent camping is fine but my missus needs (not necessarily wants) the conveniences of home on wheels. You won't find motels and maids in Allegheny Park or the Adirondacks.

I might add that after forum members comments I'm rethinking the tow behind type instead.

Old 09-01-15, 04:56 AM
Vermont, I originally thought that but after asking Joe numerous times and he not responding, BUT always writing ECT (always capital letters and no period) I have come to the conclusion that he has a special language all his own and he has no desire to share the meaning with us.

Norm, as you stated, it all depends upon the person. I have known a few people that owned a "camper" or fifth wheel trailer or a motor home and invariably it sits in the yard, driveway or storage area a goodly amount of the year. The idea that it is less expensive than a moderately priced hotel is ludicrous to me.

I had a very close friend, he died not quite three years ago, that had a van with a "pop-up" top that he used as both a vacation vehicle as well as his normal commuting vehicle. A few years before he retired he bought a new pick-up truck and a fifth wheel trailer. When he retired he and his wife traveled around the country for about two years and then the trailer was parked, not moving but maybe two or three times a year. It was (probably still is) a nice trailer but I could never imagine myself living in it or traveling the country with it.

But, if that is your "thing" then have at it my friend and just ignore what I have written.

Old 09-01-15, 12:08 PM
I might add that after forum members comments I'm rethinking the tow behind type instead
Fifth wheels tow better than travel trailers.

If you are really serious:

Old 09-01-15, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
Heres the issues with a class A.

1. When you break down who is going to tow it. Not just anything can tow them.
2. At the campsite you need a car if you want to go anywhere . Or your forced to stay thereand buy expensive supply's from the camp store.
3.Same for 5th wheels. You need a 250/2500 or better pick up. The guys towing with a 150 are grossly overweight most of the time.
4. Depending on camping style class A sites are full hook ups. You cant get into secluded areas like a small TT.

Id rather unhook and have a vehicle but that me.

If I need help I have many friends that will come get my camper if I break down. Ill take care of the truck myself usually and just have it towed home. ( my insurance for the RV has road side assistance included. Up to 30 mile tow.)

My buddy has a class A and he is looking to downsize after he saw where I go. And he is tired of paying for a towing plan. Plus the $300 bucks to fill the fuel tank, and another 170 to fill his propane. Then all other stuff he says its 1000 bucks just to leave the driveway... LOL

Example I am camping now off the grid in a state park. No hook ups. Ill be here a week. I have 150 AH battery's and 30 gallon fresh water, black and grey tanks.. ( I have a spare 15 gallon barrel to refill the fresh tank)

They allow grey water discharge here. When I am done with my stay there is a dump station for my black tank. Our family of 4 cant fill the poop tank in a week.

This place and many like it limit to 22 ft campers. I am just 22 ft and really dont want to go bigger. I am looking to go smaller if anything so I can get into more remote areas..

What do I get for being a small camper.

This site right on the lake. My own fishing and boat launch area. No noise as there are mostly tent campers here..

No mind you I have to watch my power consumption. I hav all LED lights. I have a way to recharge the batteries when needed. But that's another thread...

But again this is just my style camping. I do camp at resorts here and there but only do it for the Kids...

Name:  0901151605-00.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  50.6 KB

Name:  0901151603-00.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  51.1 KB

Name:  0901151604-00.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  51.2 KB

Name:  0901151606-00.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  0901151636-01.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  41.1 KB

Name:  0901151636-00.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  36.1 KB

Name:  0901151637-00non.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  27.0 KB

Old 09-01-15, 05:08 PM
Mike, nice set up. Similar to what my son has. I'm rethinking my original premise. But I do like the seating and comfort of the class A's.

Old 09-01-15, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator
But I do like the seating and comfort of the class A's.
LOL.. I have a dinette, couch, full queen bed and rear full bath. If you need more then that then I dont know what your really looking for..

My pics below show my camper....

Old 09-01-15, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
Very nice setup Mike.

I mentioned earlier my parents class A unit. They've put a lot of miles on their latest one. It is different then camping. It's more like a home on wheels.

They usually go out for 4-5 days every month. They have taken it on a few two and three week trips.

They keep the extended warranty active..... runs approx $2500 for I think 5 years. Roadside assistance and towing is a must. You cannot change the tires yourself. It needed a new alternator. That was a +$1300 job.

They belong to a club of travelers. Some are not handy and pay for all repairs. That can be expensive. It helps being handy. It doesn't look to bad on the side of the house but many towns no longer allow them in a residential yard.

The unit needs to be winterized for storage. The roof requires constant cleaning and attention.

They can be a lot of fun but they are definitely a lot of work.

Old 09-01-15, 07:42 PM
Group Moderator
My Dad (and mom) has had mini RV's, ones with a van front end, and 5th wheel trailers. He likes the 5th wheel the best.

They had a Mini Winnie with a 1978 Dodge V8 for many years and that was good for general camping similar to Lawrosa is doing. That got to be too old so they replaced it with a Coachman of similar size with a few more bells and whistles (Generator, Ford 460). After they started going south for the winter they found having to pull a travel car to be a hassle, plus my dad likes to fish so pulling a boat was an issue. So, they bought a 5th wheel travel trailer.

This has worked out the best. Most states will allow you to double trailer when pulling a 5th wheel, so he can also pull a boat, just don't back up. He also unhooks the truck and can run to town for anything he needs/wants. He does not have any type of warranty on it except when it was new. He has had some issues with things going out but getting service is not a big deal at the RV parks he stays at. For what you will spend on a class A RV you should be able to get a 5th wheel and tow vehicle.

FYI - he pulls a 30' (aprox) 5th wheel, and 16' boat, with a 2005 Silverado 3/4 ton with a Duramax diesel.

Old 09-02-15, 07:23 AM
Rv

When shopping for a tow vehicle, pay attention to towing capacity and hauling capacity.

When shopping for a 5th wheel, watch the gross vehicle weight and king pin weight.

Old 09-02-15, 11:20 AM
Group Moderator
When shopping for a tow vehicle, pay attention to towing capacity and hauling capacity.
Just to add to that...... you also need to confirm that the vehicle can be flat towed without causing transmission damage.

Old 09-02-15, 12:35 PM
Rv

Just to add to that...... you also need to confirm that the vehicle can be flat towed without causing transmission damage.
My intention was to refer to a towing vehicle such as a diesel pickup.

Old 09-29-15, 09:34 PM
A friend has a huge motor home and every time he takes it out he has trouble. One time he had to have it towed and that was 2K. We camped together recently and the water heater quit,,$535 got it going. I have repaired every appliance on mine except the AC.