Reading Wiring Diagrams

Old 12-19-15, 06:23 PM
Reading Wiring Diagrams

Home | Dodge Body Builder's Guide contains electrical wiring diagrams for Ram trucks. When a circuit is different for different models, options, etc, the diagram contains abbreviations but they don't define them. One example is NGC. I emailed Dodge and the person got back to me. He said it stands for Next Generation Controller(whatever that means) but said he is not aware of a list of definitions for all abbreviations used in the diagrams. Has anyone came across such a list they are willing to share or provide the website? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-15, 06:35 PM
Group Moderator
A list of Dodge abbreviations or a master list ?

Next Generation Controller or NGC is a buzz word. Every year or so is a next generation controller. It just means a new updated one. Like new and improved.

Old 12-19-15, 07:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I do know that I have to tell repair people, or parts people the third digit of my VIN to make sure the correct parts are used or supplied. Of course wiring diagrams differ from engine to model to weight designation. I have downloaded the Ram shop manual that is searchable. Not sure if newer generation parts are earth shattering when it comes to the way they are connected to the harnesses. Can you specify things you need help with? Mine is a 2001 3500 dually with a Cummins 5.9 turbo, but I'll help if I can

Old 12-20-15, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by PJmax
A list of Dodge abbreviations or a master list ?
The wiring diagram (WD) front material has a list of abbreviations used in the diagrams. NGC is not included as well as many others used in the diagrams so maybe they are on a master list, How does one get the master list?

Originally Posted by chandler
Can you specify things you need help with?
In the wiring diagrams for the Integrated Power Module, NGC wiring is an option compared to a diesel and in another place it is an option compared to SRT. I am sure there are more examples throughout the WD. From these selections I know an NGC is not a diesel or SRT. How do I know my truck has one or not? I have an 05 Ram 1500, Quad cab, 4.7L, AT, manual 4WD.

Old 12-20-15, 02:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In your wiring diagrams, new generation components were probably not factored in. Which component are you questioning? Post the part number. We may be able to figure it out. My service manual is at home and I am in Denver, so no help until after Christmas, sorry.