Okay to re-use pads after turning rotors?

Old 01-06-16, 09:55 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Okay to re-use pads after turning rotors?

I have a 2004 Toyota Tundra and had the rotors turned on-vehicle this morning. I replaced the rotors and pads this past summer so they are virtually new. Question is, should I replace the pads again since I had the rotors turned? The rotors were WAY out of true. Braking seems fine and there is no pulsation, but I'd hate for the pads to compromise what I just had done (if that is even possible). Won't the pads re-seat themselves over time?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-16, 11:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
What do the pads look like? The pads will wear to the rotor.

Old 01-06-16, 11:33 AM
I just replaced them in August or September so they have plenty of pad left on them. As far as being true to the rotor, I would say not since the rotors were just turned, but the truck stops fine. Even if they are worn to the old rotor surface, won't they eventually conform to the existing rotor surface? If not, what if any issues could arise? Again, the brakes feel great. Especially compared to how they used to be (by hubs are out of true so new rotors go bad within a week).

Old 01-06-16, 12:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
Depending on how the existing pads are worn the braking could be slightly compromised until the pads wear down and become an exact mate to the rotors. Warped rotors don't affect the pads much, unlike scored rotors.

Old 01-06-16, 01:28 PM
Okay, so I'll just go with what I have. The pulsating is gone so regardless if the pads aren't mated properly (yet), it is better than before.