98 Chevy C1500 4.7 Vortec stumbles/misfires when cold or under load.

Old 02-05-16, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
98 Chevy C1500 4.7 Vortec stumbles/misfires when cold or under load.

Usually in the morning, when it's cold or if its been raining the night before, my start up and idle fine. But 1st and 2nd gear will start to stutter around 1500 to 2000 rpm while accelerating. By 3rd gear it's near stopped. Once I've gotten a good 15 - 20 mi. on it, it goes away. Although it seems to getting even worse. The other day the truck wouldn't start, it would turn over and over, then stop suddenly like a dead battery. I would immediately try again with same results but when I released the key it tried to fire but failed. After a few more tries it threw a p1351 code. But I did finally get it to start. Hasn't throw that code since. But having the misfire under load while it's cold outside. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-16, 12:09 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Two results from google said that it's the Ignition Control Module (ICM)

Old 02-05-16, 12:43 PM
Thanks Pulpo for the quick response.

Yes I already understand that the p1351 code points to an icm circuit high voltage, but the icm had been replaced 4 to 6 months when my truck completely stalled while driving it. Not sure if it threw that code because I was possibly over cranking it the day it wouldn't start, but since clearing it it hasn't come back. That was approx. 4 weeks ago.

Old 02-05-16, 01:45 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Like anything else, a new part can go bad. You might want to keep one with you just in case it happens while you are on the road.

Old 02-05-16, 02:07 PM
Thanks I'll check it out, but would it cause the stuttering as I call it, while accelerating? Also wouldn't that mean there could be an underlying problem that's causing the icm to go bad so quickly? Plus I only have this issue when it's cold outside, it doesn't exist when the temperature is warm.