Scratched Rims

Old 03-05-16, 04:57 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Scratched Rims

I bought a set of used factory Toyota wheels on ebay to put on my Tundra and gave them a good cleaning today with some POR15 degreaser. I thought using a green scotch brite pad would be fine, but it actually scratched the clear coat. It isn't too bad, but pretty upsetting. What can I do to buff these scratches out without compromising the clear coat further? Should I use something like Mcguires ScratchX? The wheels are aluminum alloy wheels off a 2011 4 Runner.

Last edited by mossman; 03-05-16 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-05-16, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Ideally, I'd have them refinished by a wheel repair company. For just a buff and re-spray shouldn't be that much. I had a bent/damaged rim repaired and re-coated for about $100. A paint shop might even be able to do it.

I don't know of any DIY solutions, but there may be some out there.

Old 03-05-16, 06:36 PM
M
I'm not going to pay someone to refinish them. I didn't scratch them up that bad. I'm just pissed because I just bought them. I'll give the Scratch X or cleaner wax a try and see what happens.

Old 03-05-16, 07:53 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Don't feel too stupid! In a moment of temporary insanity I used a scouring pad to remove bugs from my windshield and ended up with minor scratches that I polished out! I knew better! Treat your scratches like you would a scratch to your vehicles finish. Maybe a spray can of clear will fix it.

Old 03-05-16, 08:35 PM
M
I just polished and waxed them using Maguires three step deep crystal cleaner/polish/wax and they look much better. I did it by hand and I can still see most of the scratches, but they're less noticeable because the surface is so shiny. Should I try again and use a fine cut rubbing compound on them followed by a polish and wax?

I'm kind of surprised that the clear coat is so delicate that a green scotchbrite pad scratched them so significantly. The wheels still look really good though and unless the light is just right and you're face is 12" away, you can't see the scratches. Regardless, it still bugs me and I'd like to buff them out if possible.

Old 03-05-16, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Well, in the Navy we called them green meanies for a reason. A blue pad is all I use on more delicate surfaces.

Old 03-06-16, 04:55 AM
M
I wasn't even aware there was a gray one. I thought there was red (coarse) and green. I should have taken a minute to research it. They say if you wouldn't use it on your paint, don't use it on your clear coated wheels. Makes sense.

Old 03-06-16, 09:38 AM
Received 24 Upvotes on 19 Posts
Green scotchbrite pads will scratch glass !!

Extra-fine lacquer rubbing compound may help you

Old 03-06-16, 05:23 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Take the green scotchbrite pad to the entire rim and apply new clearcoat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: