2003 Cevy S-10 Lifter noise

Old 03-20-16, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2003 Cevy S-10 Lifter noise

My S-10 has a 4.3L V-6 in it with 106,000 miles on it. I've had a lifter noise for a month or so, I've tried the additives with a little help but not gone completely away. Anyone have a general idea what it might cost to have it inspected and if that is the problem what a guess would be to fix it. My mechanic charges $69hr.

Fritoguy15

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-16, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
does it go away when the truck warms up?

Is this the 4.3 v six or the 4 cyl?

I have 160K on my v6 s10. I get lifter noise when cold start and in winter its more pronounced..

I cant say for sure but I assume the hydrolic lifters are plugged on mine and oil does not pump them up right away..

What I do every now and then when I am a quart low on oil is run a quart of tranny fluid in the engine. This cleans it out good and my issue goes away for a better part of the year..

But I cant tell you to try this. Its only what I do.. But I can tell you that some of those engine flushes you buy or engine restorers and additives are nothing more then tranny fluid.. Lets use marvels mystery oil for example...

You would need to pull the valve covers, remove the rockers, then check all the rods.. 4 hours labor probably..

Old 03-20-16, 10:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
Just to be clear the tranny fluid should only be added shortly before you change the oil.

Old 03-20-16, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Just to be clear the tranny fluid should only be added shortly before you change the oil.
Yes I usually only run it in there about 500 miles.. But the old gear heads tell me they run it longer and also they add more then a quart..

Old 03-20-16, 01:19 PM
lawrosa, as I said in my post it is the 4.3L V-6, and no it does not go away when the engine warms up. If anything it gets worse as it warms up. Thanks for the labor estimate.

Fritoguy15

Old 03-20-16, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
If it dont go away then thats another issue.. Where is the actual noise coming from?

Hopefully its just a rocker issue ...

The 4.3's are notorious for crank bearing issues and /or wrist pin/piston slap..

Old 03-20-16, 01:53 PM
It's hard to pinpoint the exact spot even when I listen with a stethoscope. I have replaced the belt, idler pulley, and the tensioner pulley without any luck. I guess I need to let my mechanic go for a ride with me and have him hear it while driving.

Old 03-20-16, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
What have you added to the engine?

Like I said I am running mine with a quart of tranny fluid in the crankcase..

If you chose to try this yourself do so at your own risk..

Old 03-21-16, 09:46 AM
Well I feel I got lucky today, the mechanic found out that the power steering pulley was out of alignment so he adjusted it out and the noise went away. It appears the new serpentine belt was rubbing on just enough to make the noise.
So much better now that I know it isn't lifters or something major. No charge for the fix, can't do better than that!!

Thanks for all your help here, I can always count on it.

Fritoguy15
Chip4u & Chips4me