Fixed my rear drum brakes for the first time

Old 04-25-16, 08:06 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Fixed my rear drum brakes for the first time

I have a 92' Ford Ranger XLT with 2.9 V6. I overhauled my rear drum brakes for the first time this weekend. I have a question. The wheels can be rotated by hand, and the drums can be pulled off the wheels without any effort after adjusting with the star wheel screw. But I notice there is a little drag when pulling off the drums? Is this ok?

Last edited by bluesbreaker; 04-25-16 at 08:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-16, 09:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
How much drag? a little is ok, sounds like yours are fine.

Old 04-25-16, 10:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
The way I adjusted drum brakes is the tighten star wheel until drum will not turn, than back off till you have a slight drag.

Old 04-25-16, 10:19 AM
It's just a little drag. I adjusted just like pugsl did his. So it's probably ok.

I only bled the rear wheel brake lines. I didn't bleed the front brakes yet because I wanted penetrating oil to sink in overnight to avoid break them off. I did not drive the vehicle yet. Now that I will have waited one or two nights, do I have to bleed all brake lines now, or just the two front brakes I have not done yet?

Old 04-25-16, 10:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I only bleed the lines if there is air in them. Usually not needed if all you did was replace shoes/pads, or did you replace any brake lines or wheel cylinders?

Old 04-25-16, 11:00 AM
One of the wheel cylinders was leaking. I replaced wheel cylinders, hardware and adjuster screws. So I thought I should bleed all four. Do I have to bleed rear brakes again since I am waiting a little longer to bleed the front ones?

Last edited by bluesbreaker; 04-25-16 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-25-16, 12:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Not if you got all the air out of rear. I usually just gravity bleed them. When clean fluid comes out you should be good. I always do one pump after fluid is clean to make sure all air is out.

Old 04-25-16, 12:48 PM
I did the same thing you did again..................one more pump for good measure after air bubbles disappear. I thought about doing the gravity bleed thing since I did not have an assistant. But I heard it can take a really long time. I ended up wedging a carpenter's level between seat and brake pedal.

Old 04-25-16, 03:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
For what it's worth - the front and rear brakes have separate hydraulic systems so while replacing a wheel cylinder or line on the rear will necessitate bleeding the rears - it doesn't affect the front.

Old 04-26-16, 08:18 AM
Well, I tried bleeding the rest of the brakes lines. I'm having a very difficult time. I can't seem to get the air bubbles out. I'm bleeding them myself and following the instructions. Sometimes the bubbles start when I CLOSE the bleeder valve. I even tried bleeding the rear brakes lines again.

I don't understand. I bled the rear lines a couple nights ago. I didn't see any more bubbles. Then I started with the right front wheel and everything went downhill fast.

On second thought, I'll start another posting

Last edited by bluesbreaker; 04-26-16 at 08:46 AM.