Going to bench bleed for the first time also

Old 05-14-16, 01:58 PM
Going to bench bleed for the first time also

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 92' Ford Ranger with 2.9 V6. I have drum brakes on the rear and discs in front. I am seeing different master cylinder bench bleeding procedures, and am unsure of which one to use. My MC uses a plastic reservoir that sits at an angle.

1. One method says to trail bleeder tubes from both outlet ports to inside reservoir. But there is a little gadget in the reservoir that probably won't allow the immersing of bleeder tubes.

Another method without the use of bleeder tubes, says block both outlet ports and then depress piston.

Then my truck owner manual says block all but one brake line port. Which method do I use for may make/model/year?

Also, if I bench bleed the MC already mounted on the truck, do I really need to raise the truck to make the reservoir level? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-16, 04:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The best method is but the tubes back in master cylinder. Never seen one you can't get them in . If for any reason you can't do that put the tubes in a jar of brake fluid. What you don't want is master cylinder to run out of fluid and don't let tubes suck in air. You will still have one or two bubbles at the end but should be ok.

Old 05-14-16, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
His master cylinder probably has the fluid level float in the way.

Old 05-14-16, 11:53 PM
Yep................That's the word I was looking for. The 'fluid level float' is in the way like Pete said.

I' guess I'll submerge the bleeder tubes in a jar. Do I need to bleed one outlet port at a time while the other port is blocked? My truck manual seems to say that.

There is also a complication. I need to replace one of the brake lines attached to the MC outlet port. The nut was damaged when I had to loosen it with vise grips. It's just on barely tight so it can be easily loosened again. I've been looking online for a pre-bent replacement line already flared with fitting. Know where I can find one?

Old 05-15-16, 12:00 AM
Group Moderator
A pre-bent for a '92 vehicle........ not happening.

You'll have to match the ends and length with a straight replacement line and bend it yourself.
The line is fairly soft and bends easily.

Old 05-15-16, 12:18 AM
I would have to flare the brake line ends also correct?

I'm told there is a place here in town that can fabricate whatever I need with fittings and flared ends included. Might check them out.

Old 05-15-16, 12:41 AM
Group Moderator
Most auto parts stores have a large assortment of brake lines in different diameters and lengths. They come with fittings and flares already on them.

Old 05-15-16, 11:43 AM
Ok. Good to know. I'll go down to the auto parts store today. If I can get one already flared with fitting, then I can use the the tool to bend it. Sorry about asking all these questions lately. I'm trying to perform more of my own auto repairs. At times, it can be a pain in the neck without an experienced assistant or second vehicle

Not going to work on it today. Burned my hand yesterday and should give it some time to heal to avoid infection.

Old 05-31-16, 07:50 AM
Brake function is back to normal now with nice firm pedal. In addition to rear brake parts, I replaced master cylinder and installed speed bleeders all around. Did it all myself including the bleeding. Now after all that, I have to replace one speed bleeder that is oozing for some reason. But brakes still work great!

I also discovered polymer coated brake lines. The guy in the auto parts store showed me how to bend them without tubing bender. Thanks again