2000 Ford Ranger: brakes won't release

Old 05-27-16, 06:18 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2000 Ford Ranger: brakes won't release

The brakes won't release on my ford ranger 2000. But I am not too sure if it is the emergency brake or the pedal brake. So first of all how do I figure out which one it is?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-16, 09:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,029 Votes on 955 Posts
When you release the emergency brakes.... does the pedal come back up ?

If the vehicle has been sitting for a while with the parking brakes on..... the brakes or the cable could be rusted and frozen.

You could have rear drum brakes or rotors with the internal emergency brake shoes.

Old 05-28-16, 02:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
Do you use parking brake all the time. If not and you applied it there is a good chance the brake cables are stuck. Very common problem, Pete said it if pedal did not return most likely stuck. Sometimes you can pull on cables to make them release, sometimes wd 40 will help, sometimes a rubber hammer will do it or a combinations all will do it. All cases new cables are needed.
If you get them freed do not push pedal untill cables are replaced.

Old 05-28-16, 03:49 AM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
I agree, except that I would use Break Away or PB Blaster to try to free it, not WD-40.

Old 05-28-16, 06:02 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The parking break does come towards me when I release it, also the cable is loose when it is not engaged. I also took it to 2000 rpm and it still won't move. Thoughts?

Old 05-28-16, 06:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
You are going have to jack up car to see if front or rear wheels. need to jack all 4 corners one at time and try to turn each wheel by hand. I would guess front wheel usually car can push through rear brake.
Drum or disc brakes on rear?

Last edited by pugsl; 05-28-16 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-28-16, 10:20 AM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
As Pugsl said, you will have to get the tires off the ground one at a time, so it really doesn't matter where you start, but, being a 2000, my guess is that you have drum on the rear and disks on the front, in which I would suspect the problem in the rear. You would have a cylinder that spreads the shoes for normal braking, and some manner of cam that actuates the parking brake. So, even though the cable goes slack when you release it, it still could be related to the paring brake if that cam or a related part is seized. You probably have a ridge on the inboard surface of the brake drum, where the shoes don't contact it, so getting the drum off will be a chore. Make sure that you have the vehicle blocked good before prying on it.