96 Chevy S10 Brake Job

Old 06-07-16, 10:07 AM
Question 96 Chevy S10 Brake Job

When I come to a stop I can feel the truck slipping and a grinding noise. A friend thought it was the brake pads, but they look like they still have padding. From looking at the pictures what parts do you think I will need. I have new rotors and new brake pads already ... It looks like the calipers are in bad shape, and I have no idea how that back plate got bent like that. Can anyone tell me what will need to be replaced. Thank you for reading my post.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-16, 03:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you checked the rear brakes? or rotated each wheel to pinpoint the noise?

Old 06-07-16, 04:10 PM
Looks to me like you need new caliper bolts; the calipers need to be able to move in and out, and I doubt they are moving very freely on all of that rust and corrosion. You can see on the rotor that the bottom third of the pad is making little or no contact, probably because the pads are cocking. That's my opinion anyway.

Old 06-07-16, 04:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with Pedro.

I'll also add that your pads may be "glazed over." This happens usually when the brake pads have gotten too hot. If your pulling a trailer with this truck, sometimes with a heavy load, you could have gotten the brake pads too hot & they glazed over. Once that happens, they just dont "grab" very well, therefore they dont stop very well.

Like others, I am just providing guess' at this point.

Old 06-07-16, 07:20 PM
Arrow Didn't check the back brakes

No I haven't checked the back brakes, but it sounds like the noise is from the front.

Old 06-07-16, 07:23 PM
When I hear that grinding noise it does feel like the brakes are not grabbing ... I can agree about the caliper bolts, I imagine it will be difficult to remove them. What about the calipers ... I guess I will know when I take it apart?

Old 06-08-16, 04:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Generally a sticking caliper will cause one pad to wear a lot faster than the other. The outside pad still has a lot of wear left but if the inside is almost worn out then either the caliper needs replacing or the brake hose.

Old 06-08-16, 12:37 PM
Those pads aren't doing anything. AKA is right about the wear on the rotor. Should be shiny clean metal where pads contact rotor. Calipers maybe just barely working.
I just did a bunch of work on 03 yukon rear rotors looked like yours. The calipers in rear weren't doing a thing. How old are the calipers and rubber hoses ? Original I'd replace them both. Hoses clog up or collapse after many years.
Mike

Last edited by chooch502; 06-08-16 at 12:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-08-16, 02:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Rusty as those calipers I would replace them. Inside pad wear caliper sticking or hose bad. replace caliper bleed them, pump up brakes and release pedal wheel should turn freely, if not than you also need hoses.

Old 06-09-16, 08:10 AM
Thumbs up Got her done!!

Wellsir ... I got it together. The rotors and the calipers were bad. The brake pads were still good, but since I had new pads I put them on. So the whole front brake assembly is new. Lucky for me my neighbor is a mechanic, and helped me put the brakes on and bleed the line. I'm one happy camper now.

Thanks to all those that took the time to post.

Old 06-09-16, 11:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good job thanks for the update.