Inclosed 6x12 trailer

Old 06-15-16, 12:43 AM
Inclosed 6x12 trailer

I just purchased a new inclosed trailer and I would like any suggestions on applying a good sealer on top for weather protection and heat protection. Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-16, 03:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Mine came with a coating on it similar to mobile home roofing patch, so that may be an option. It just rolls on like a thick paint. You could tape it off around the lower perimeter where the roof ends and coat it well. It also has reflective properties and is usually silver or white in color.

Old 06-15-16, 03:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The fibered aluminum coatings are oil based and can be applied over rust. The white roof coatings are generally a latex elastomeric coating. They often stand up better to the sun and should give better heat reflection but have no rust inhibitive qualities. If any rust is present you need to use an oil base primer first. I don't know which would be best for your trailer

Old 06-15-16, 05:19 AM
Group Moderator
Since your trailer is new I would use Cool Seal which is an elastomeric coating sort of like a really thick latex paint and is white to reflect the suns rays. Thoroughly clean the roof then brush or roll on the Cool Seal. In my experience it lasts about 8 years. And best of all it sort of wears down or ablades over time so when it comes time to recoat you don't keep adding thickness and weight to the roof.

Fibered roof coatings also work but I like them best for sealing around seams and roof penetrations like vents. It can crack and applying layer after layer builds up thickness which is not always a good thing.

Old 06-15-16, 05:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That reminds me that fiberglass impregnated aluminum does wear away some but when it does so a light grey film gets washed off of the roof. Normally not a problem on a house with an overhang or a mobile home with a drip rail - might not look to good on the sides of a trailer.