New brake pads Question Asymmetrical tang??

Old 07-04-16, 06:58 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
New brake pads Question Asymmetrical tang??

So I am pretty familiar with installing brakes on cars.
however first truck, fronts only. (nissan frontier) got the parts sat on this holiday weekend so cant call rock auto. Out of the four front pads one of them has a fixed tang (tab). In the past I have seen this on one of each side. never only one of four.
I have yet to look at the passenger side hoping it may be obvious where it fits?
any help thanks
Al
can post pix if need be.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-16, 10:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,036 Votes on 960 Posts
Usually the tang is a wear indicator. When the pads wear done to the point they need replacement... that tang contacts the rotor and makes a screech.

Not all manufacturers use that system. I know GM did. It's possible those pads fit different manufacturers vehicles where some use a wear indicator and some don't. If it looks like the tang is not part of the pad fastening system.... I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 07-04-16, 11:24 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
would be helpful to know what you are putting the pads on, also, some newer cars and trucks have the system built into the computer and it senses the wear

Old 07-04-16, 11:41 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sorry didn't take any pictures. I was busy cleaning all my parts thoroughly. Especially the wheels! Rotating them also! That's why I didn't do both fronts together. Did left side then right. So I got everything back together just in time before the storm passing through.
However when I got to the passenger piston side it had the solo tang. So I replicated the same scenario. I can only guess its a quick spot check indicator for wear. as mentioned by Pete
Now I have never seen the wishbone springs either. I did figure why they use those. Anyone inquiring minds know why?
Iron man I mentioned in first post nissan frontier disc brakes?