under bed spare tire protection

Old 07-12-16, 08:30 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
under bed spare tire protection

I noticed how some pretty serious rust and corrosion has developed on the steel rim of my spare tire which goes stored under my truck bed (spare tire stores by crank/cable mechanism under the bed) because it stays under there so long getting exposed and basically forgotten about and any cleaning or maintenance otherwise neglected. I suppose it's my fault I don't crank it down often enough and keep it clean but just wondered what other guys might do instead of that, if anything. There's these things I came across which seem to make sense I suppose: SpareTireProtector but seems like there might be other sensible alternatives I'm not thinking of. Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 07-12-16 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Fixed name of link
Old 07-12-16, 08:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 405 Votes on 361 Posts
I think the best thing to do is to spray underneath the truck every time you wash it, especially in the winter! My oldest son bought a used Nissan pickup and both the hanger and rim was rusted so bad they were worthless.

Old 07-12-16, 09:24 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Well fortunately the hanger and rim on mine aren't rusted to the point they're worthless (yet). Yeah I guess I could try to spray and clean it every time I wash the truck. Probably kind of a pain having to crouch/crawl around under there to do a decent job though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: