Dirt under the vehicle?

Old 08-23-16, 11:30 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dirt under the vehicle?

Does the accumulation of dirt underneath a vehicle affect it?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-16, 01:07 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 604 Votes on 557 Posts
Yes... It makes the bottom dirty... And chaos theory (aka: butterfly affect) says everything has an affect...

But seriously. If you want to get down to it there may be a weight penalty. With manufacturers going to extreme to shave weight it's possible for a dirty truck to carry 20 or 30 pounds of mud around and your average car could hold several pounds. You probably wouldn't notice but it affects your gas mileage ever so slightly.

Dirt also holds moisture which can cause corrosion. But, modern cars are so well dipped & coated that rusting is hardly the problem it was 20+ years ago.

Lastly, a clean underbody will make your mechanic happy. If he doesn't have dirt and bits falling on him when when working on your car he might be slightly more happy. I doubt it will reflect in your bill but he may go home a bit happier though.

Old 08-23-16, 02:14 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
IMO the 2 biggest reasons to keep the underside of a vehicle somewhat clean is to cut down on corrosion and make it easier to work on. My grandson has a 4x4 and thinks it's 'cool' to have the SUV covered in mud ..... I wasn't very happy when I had to fix his brakes!

Old 08-23-16, 02:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Having less dirt accumulation will help to make you more readily aware if you have a leak, too. I keep the underside if the engine and transmission pretty clean so if a leak should develop, I can zone in on it and fix it.

Unrelated data.....Not sure if it is national, but locally in Atlanta, all UPS trucks arrive at the distribution point, are unloaded and go through an engine and exterior cleaning before they leave out the next day. It helps the mechanics to keep an eye on things better.

Old 08-23-16, 08:35 PM
T
So I am guessing I shouldn't just take a hose and start spraying? So what do I need to be careful when spraying around? Is there anywhere I shouldn't try to clean off/out? other thoughts.

Old 08-24-16, 03:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I usually spray off the underside of my jeep and pickup when I wash them, it shouldn't hurt anything. I ought to spray off the underside of my wife's merc too but between it setting closer to the ground and my old back - it only gets sprayed off occasionally. You would need to use a little care spraying water around the engine but the odds are you won't hurt anything spraying from below.

Old 08-24-16, 04:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 604 Votes on 557 Posts
You can only hit so much by sticking your arm under the car with a hose and what you can hit are the bits that get wet and dirty anyhow. Just hose away. Your garden hose doesn't have enough pressure to damage anything.

Old 08-24-16, 09:12 AM
T
Do I need to be concerned about water being left in a puddle? Or will any water left over come off when I drive?

Old 08-24-16, 10:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Vehicles get driven in the rain all the time with no issues. As long as the ignition doesn't get wet everything is fine .... and it will dry out. Try not to fly thru deep puddles.