2008 ford F250 5.4L: stalls while it's running

Old 09-23-16, 07:24 PM
2008 ford F250 5.4L: stalls while it's running

Yesterday it stalled just before I got to my driveway and I coasted in and I cranked it up and it ran normally so I took it out for a few errands and I had no problems. Today, I went to work on a several hour drive and I had no problems at all... On my drive home my truck started sputtering and losing power then it would pick up power and start sputtering again and it went dead. I cranked it and it ran normally for about 15 minutes then started the same cycle again I would stop, turn my truck off and restart it and it would run fine for a period then start the same cycle over and over all the way home. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-16, 07:27 PM
Group Moderator
I would think an issue that severe would set the MIL (check engine light).
Was it not on ?

No MIL would be indicative of a fuel supply problem..... like possibly the intank fuel pump.

Old 09-24-16, 04:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When was the fuel filter changed last? I'd run a fuel pressure test on it. Fuel pumps normally get noisy before they go out.

Old 09-24-16, 05:55 AM
After I posted this last night, I went to the corner auto parts store and got them to do a diagnostic thing with their computer. I know they dont have the greatest system but it said I had a bad oxygen sensor. As soon as they told me that, I remembered when I had a bad catalytic converter once on another vehicle I had years ago and it behaves similarly. Oh and the check engine light did come on. Anyway, that's where I'm at. I was thinking about going ahead and installing a new oxygen sensor and seeing if that does it. I haven't changed the fuel filter since I bought the truck 3 years ago.

Old 09-24-16, 06:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would say you are headed in the right direction. Just remember you don't go 3 years on an oil filter, or air filter, so it would seem logical to change the fuel filter more regularly, too. Especially with all the crud in the tanks at fuel stations, nowadays. Filling up at a gas station with the tanker sitting there isn't a good idea, either. He is just stirring up whatever has settled to the bottom.