2008 F250 gas tank venting question

Old 10-07-16, 09:04 AM
2008 F250 gas tank venting question

I made a post a while back about my truck going dead and the check engine light coming one etc... I ended up taking it to my local parts store and letting them hook it up to their computer and it said I had a bad fuel sensor problem. I replaced that and cleaned the others myself but I was still having problems so I decided to take it to a repair shop. They fixed the problems which was a bad fuel pump, a vacuum leak and some other issues but after I got my truck back, and it was time to fuel it up, I realized that I couldnt pump hardly any in before it shut the pump off. It took forever to fill up. SO, I took it back to the shop this morning and the guy said that the rear vent tube was capped off. The one near the spar tire. I had never had this problem before so I was skeptical...Wonder why someone would cap that vent tube off? Several years ago, I had this warning light that came on that said my gas cap was off, but it wasnt, so I took it to a guy to check it out and he fixed it but I didn't have ant trouble filling it up until after I had the fuel pump replaced last week. Anybody have any idea why someone would cap that vent tube off?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-16, 11:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did they have to remove the tank to replace the fuel pump? If so, I'd suspect they messed up the return vent hose and not someone previously .... possibly trying to get paid to rectify their mistake.

Old 10-07-16, 12:02 PM
Yeah, when he first told me about it I was thinking he was trying to scam me maybe, but he showed it to me and it looked like it had been on there a long time and he didn't charge anything for checking it out and taking the plug out. He just suggested I drive it and see what happens. So far so good. When this guy changed the F. pump he said he just lowered the tank and didn't completely remove it and he just didn't see the plug while he was working on that. It was a red plastic cap with a zip tie holding it on. Several years ago, I took it to another mechanic who was supposed to check out why the gas cap light was constantly on. That guy told me he did a smoke test, or something (if I remember correctly) and he said he didn't find anything wrong. The light stopped coming on, so I didn't think anything about it. I wonder if he needed to plug that vent line for testing it and he just forgot to remove it.... but that doesnt explain why I didn't have any trouble pumping gas in it. hmm.

Old 10-07-16, 03:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a decent mechanic
Not sure why anyone would cap off the vent hose