Best way to live long-term on a plot of land with no house

Old 10-19-16, 10:46 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best way to live long-term on a plot of land with no house

I can't afford a house in the location I want but I can afford a plot of land.
Until I can build an actual house, which could take years, I need to be able to live there.

I'll need to be able to have heat, electricity, and take a shower and goto the toilet. Other that that there's a lot of flexibility.

I understand that much of this of course depends on the zoning regulations as well.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-16, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
Get an RV and park it......

Old 10-19-16, 10:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

What about utilities? Hooking up to sewer or installing a septic system isn't cheap.

Old 10-19-16, 10:55 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
It basically all depends upon local regulations. An old RV as X suggested or old trailer can get you by for many years but you would still need to have an approved septic system and electrical power. To get some answers without raising concern get a copy, probably available online, of the local zoning and building regulations and see what they say. If there are no minimum size requirements you might join the "tiny home" trend and build yourself a very small house. With salvaged materials it wouldn't be all that expensive. Still would need approval and a septic.

Bud

Old 10-19-16, 11:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
My dream has always been to get a nice lot in the country and build a big garage with radiant heat in the floor... and live in the garage as long as needed... fix up a kitchen, bathroom, etc. and a loft up above. (Then build the house later)

Of course, electricity, water and septic would have to come first.

Nothing is cheap, but at least with an RV you could get by with just electricity if you are willing to pull it somewhere regularly to fill up with water and dump.

Old 10-19-16, 11:31 AM
T
An old RV would make sense, the electricity could be done via generator since I'm never home for a few hours at a time but how would I take a shower or goto the toilet?

Also is there any kind of heater (aside from a highly inefficient space heater) that could be run from an outside generator?

Old 10-19-16, 12:48 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Electric space heaters are very efficient, close to 100% efficient. They are just expensive to operate because of the cost of electricity. This will be even more true if you have to generate your own electricity. Add in that most RVs or trailers will have minimal thermal insulation causing the heat to be lost quickly.

Old 10-19-16, 01:40 PM
J
Received 75 Votes on 70 Posts
Feeling lucky?
Find a burned out house or more likely a mobile home.
It will already have sewer, water, power close by.
I agree build a garage with gambrel roof with living space above. Your going to want a garage anyway.

Old 10-19-16, 01:50 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
When you say you can afford the land, do you mean a cash purchase or would you finance that? We pay cash for lots and then can leverage them to build the structures for our rental units.

Old 10-19-16, 02:22 PM
J
Just raw land is going to be far more expancive to buy and need far more down payment.
The lender has less to repo if you do not pay.

Old 10-19-16, 02:28 PM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If the "DC" you live in is the "District of Columbia", then indeed, I would check out the Zoning Ordinance BEFORE wasting any time making up plans . . . . as it's doubtful that the Zoning will permit you to homestead or actually occupy a piece of land as proposed until you can have a Certificate of Occupancy (COO) issued by Zoning Authority . . . . and that seems very unlikely.

Last edited by Vermont; 10-19-16 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-19-16, 04:13 PM
J
I agree 110% with Vermont's post.

Old 10-19-16, 04:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I'm going to leave this in its present forum unless it gets out of hand. Has nothing to do with Pick Up trucks, but since "RV" was mentioned, I guess it will ride for a while. I looked for a "dream" forum, but didn't find one

Old 10-20-16, 08:24 AM
T
Left a message w/DC zoning, waiting to hear back, this may change everything.
Rather than an RV that has an engine and needs to be maintained/run, wouldn't a camper/trailer be a better alternative?

Old 10-20-16, 09:08 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 590 Votes on 544 Posts
RV describes the whole class of campers and is not specific to a motor or mini home. If you are not driving or intend to drive a motor home then there is no need to maintain the engine. You could even take the wheels off and set it on blocks to really dress up the neighborhood.

Old 10-20-16, 11:26 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane
". . . You could even take the wheels off and set it on blocks to really dress up the neighborhood . . . "
I'd imagine the folks in Washington, DC will be pleased to look forward to that; another newly elected Congressman moving in from the hinterland, setting up his local Residence . . . . how cool is that ?

Old 10-24-16, 05:37 PM
Received 350 Votes on 326 Posts
Your chances of doing anything close to what is proposed is likely to be met with many zoning restrictions unless you are so far out in the country that there are no restrictions.

I belong to our township board and we're in a semi rural area and nobody would be allowed to live in a garage, bring in an RV. or basically camp out for any length of time.

Sorry, modern society simply has too many rules and regulations for that type of lifestyle any more.

Old 10-27-16, 01:57 PM
T
I think the point may be mute since I went to land records and learned that the soil was described as "unstable".

Now the question becomes, can I, or rather should I even attempt to build any sort of permanent structure on the unstable soil?

Old 10-27-16, 02:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
You'd probably need to have an engineer's approval before they'd issue a building permit. Not usually cheap but there are ways of making a structure stable. Whether or not you can install a septic system or hook up to municipal sewage is bigger issue.