f150 fluid in spark plug well

Old 12-09-16, 05:00 AM
f150 fluid in spark plug well

good morning all, my 2008 f150 4.6 124,000 miles is getting fluid in # 6 spark plug well, not sure if it's oil or coolant, right now it's running good but I think in time it will start to run rough again. about 5 weeks ago it started running rough, engine light came on, stopped at a advanced auto for testing, #6 was misfiring, got home pulled cell pack off to find fluid in the well, put new plug in along with new cell pack, running good, figured the other day I would pull cell pack out again to check and there was fluid back in the well. any ideas, how can I check if it'd coolant or oil, tried smelling but I really can't tell, i put paper towel in well to soak it up and it drips off towel like it's coolant "more watery then oil" but i use 5w-20 oil which is pretty watery to" hope you know what i mean by watery" any ideas what is causing this. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-16, 05:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Coolant normally has a sweet smell to it. Did you pull the plug to inspect it while you were at it?

Old 12-09-16, 06:45 AM
I didn't pull plug the other day, just the cell pack, but I did pull it about 5 weeks ago it was pretty much a mess, put a different plug in and cell pack then, has been running good since but still getting the fluid in well

Old 12-09-16, 07:59 AM
Highly unusual - it could be a leak in the upper radiator hose dripping in that location.

Old 12-09-16, 09:22 AM
I did look for any apparent leaks, maybe I need to take a closer look at the hoses, could it be coming from valve cover gasket, in take gasket,head gasket, would I be able to see that if a gasket somewhere is leaking.

Old 12-09-16, 09:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Best way to spot where a leak is coming from is to clean everything up nice and then monitor it. You should be able to tell where the leak is coming from within a day or two .... or at least determine what isn't leaking.

Old 12-09-16, 11:20 AM
Group Moderator
It would sure be nice to know if it's oil or anti-freeze.
I'd imagine it's anti-freeze as it affects the plugs performance/operation.

Old 12-09-16, 11:37 AM
ok thanks , I'll have to try and clean it up some and see if I see anything, will have to wait a day or to until this stinking wind stops, 28 degrees with 25mph winds no garage, but will let you know if I find anything, if you guys come with any ideas in the mean time, please let me know. thanks again