What am I doing wrong with this grease gun?

Old 02-20-17, 03:37 PM
What am I doing wrong with this grease gun?

I have this old blue metal grease gun with manually operated pistol grip design. It has the pump handle on top and this T-handle plunger at the bottom. It uses a standard size grease cartridge. It's not pumping up any pressure.

I installed the grease cartridge with black plastic removed cap end at bottom of cylinder closest to plunger handle, and metal pop off seal closest to pump handle. Then I pushed the plunger all the way in.

I no longer have the box or owner manual. So I don't know the manufacturer or directions.
I notice this is stamped on the grease gun cylinder..................CARTRIDGE GREASE=FOLLOWER LIP MUST FACE REAR. What does this mean?

Also there appears to be some sort of air release valve at the top of the grease gun. I guess this is suppoded to be open a little? I belieive it is fully closed

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-17, 03:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure what is wrong. You should have pulled the t handle as far back as it could go and lock it in the indentation. Take the other end (with the spout and handle) off by unscrewing it. Remove the black end of the grease tube and insert it into the body. Remove the pull tab and replace the handle/spout end by screwing it back on. THen release the t handle from the indentation and push the t handle all the way in. By pumping several times, you should have grease come from the end. Keep the valve closed. It is used to bulk load the tube.

Old 02-20-17, 03:52 PM
Yeah I did all that. Should I maybe open the air release valve temporarily? It looks like mine uses a hex wrench. The metal pull tab end of cartridge is placed at the pump head closest to the pump handle correct?

Now I remember the brand. It is a Lincoln grease gun

Last edited by bluesbreaker; 02-20-17 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-20-17, 03:57 PM
It may take up to 20 pumps to exude grease from the hose, as it won't be instant. I have never had to release any air from my grease gun.

Old 02-20-17, 04:06 PM
Not sure if this is what you have, and I don't know how to attach the file, but sounds close enough, so google "Lincoln 1142 instructions".

Last edited by PJmax; 02-20-17 at 05:47 PM. Reason: added/removed incorrect link
Old 02-20-17, 04:09 PM
Larry, you must be lucky or else I have had crappy guns, because I've had air lock often.

Blues, you can either open the fitting or just unscrew the body of the gun until it's fairly loose....then pump until you feel it prime. then screw the gun body back on fully.

Old 02-20-17, 05:13 PM
I googled Lincoln website. It looks like I have model#1133. Thanks Pedro

Yep...............I did exactly what Paul recommended. Apparently, the pump head has to be screwed on loosely at first. Then when you push in the plunger rod and follower you wait for a small amount of grease to squeeze out from the threads at the pump head. Then you fully tighten the barrel to the head.

Once I did this the grease gun pressurized on the 3rd pump and it works fine now.

Thanks very much!

I'll email Lincoln and ask them to email me a pdf of the owner's manual so I don't have to bother anyone next time.

Old 02-20-17, 05:50 PM
Group Moderator
@ aka Pedro.... I added the link to your post and then saw he had a different model.

Lincoln makes the best grease guns. The best leaking guns money can buy too.
Mine piss out little bits of grease all over the place..... especially around the spring loaded handle.

Lincoln Manual Grease Guns- tech service

Name:  gun.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  2.1 KB

Old 02-20-17, 06:08 PM
What Pete said probably explains why I have never had a problem priming mine. It self primes

Old 02-20-17, 06:24 PM
I must have tossed out the owner manual thinking I wouldn't need to refer back to it. But a cartridge of grease lasts me many years between refills

Old 02-21-17, 03:14 AM
I passed the point of frustration with my hand grease gun sometime last year so finally did something about it. It now hangs vertically inside a piece of pvc with a peanut can clipped to the bottom of it. Now when I grab it I give it a quick wipe with a shop towel and it's ready to go. If the can ever starts to fill with drippings I can empty it into a waste oil container. Prior to that it seemed that I spent more time wiping up drips across the floor than I did to actually greasing something.

Old 02-21-17, 09:06 AM
Yeah. I notice mine also drips on the the garage floor after It's been unused for awhile

You should have seen the mess I made yesterday with my grease gun. All because I wasn't following the right procedure.

That drain can thing you rigged up sounds like a good idea

Old 02-21-17, 10:04 AM
They are all messy as heck. Impossible to come away with clean hands after greasing anything, even though I wear nitrile gloves. I store mine in a plastic tub lined with an oil absorbing mat. The gun is still a mess, but at least I don't get slime all over the toolbox drawer where I keep it. I like the vertical storage idea, that might keep the gun cleaner.