No need to disassemble drum brake for rear wheel bearing replacement?

Old 02-24-17, 04:19 PM
No need to disassemble drum brake for rear wheel bearing replacement?

Me again, I have the 92' Ford Ranger XLT with 2.9 V6 and touch drive 4WD.

I was going to replace some rear drum brake hardware today and I noticed there is some gear oil leakage in the passenger side brake drum/wheel bearing area. I looked at my Chilton Manual which does not go into great detail like a complete shop manual

Am I correct in assuming that I don't have to disassemble a single piece of drum brake hardware to replace the rear wheel bearing and seal on my make/model? My rear wheel bearings are lubricated by gear oil traveling down the axle tube.

If I'm correct, I'd like to complete work on my drum brake tomorrow which I know how to do.

Maybe later I'll start another thread about replacing the rear bearing and seal. The rear axle gear oil still streams out generously like it should when I open the drain plug.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-17, 05:03 PM
You are correct in that the bearings are internal of the axle shaft and although I've owned a couple of Rangers I never had a leak at the brake so I'm not sure where the seal is located.

Old 02-24-17, 05:22 PM
The rear wheel bearing/seal fit around the axle shaft where it exits at the drum brake backing plate. The disc with the wheel studs is at the end of the shaft.

I would load a photo for you. But I am out of 4G data right now

I don't have to remove any drum brake parts to change out the rear wheel bearing and seal......correct?

Last edited by bluesbreaker; 02-24-17 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-24-17, 06:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
brake parts do not have to come off.

Old 02-24-17, 07:07 PM
Group Moderator
You have to pull the rear axle. I'm pretty sure you have to open the differential up and pull the axle clip. Since you have to open the rear and dump the fluid you might plan on changing them both.

Your rear axle..... one solid piece....
Name:  axle.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  2.9 KB

Ford and rear axle seals go hand in hand. I've replaced all the seals on my vans..... multiple times. Luckily my axles come out without opening the differential.

Old 02-24-17, 07:57 PM
Ok. Well, I'll go ahead and do the passenger side drum brakes tomorrow. Did the driver side today. I can always clean gear oil residue off brake parts.

This is rather annoying. I had the rear axle repaired in 2013 and wheel bearing and seal replacement was included on the invoice.

For my make/model, the bearing/seal replacement procedure doesn't seem complicated. Seems similar to what Pete says. If I can do rear brakes, think I can do this without too much difficulty?

If so, I'll think about starting another thread if I have questions. I have a few small projects I need to do with this truck.

I need to repack wheel bearings also. Which is more critical to complete first......................front wheel bearing repack or this?

Old 02-24-17, 08:12 PM
Group Moderator
It's not hard to do. I just changed the gear lube on my one van. The cover is held on with silicone gasket maker. If it's a limited slip rear it will need (whale blubber) additive.

Old 02-24-17, 08:31 PM
Ok. Thanks.

I'll post again later with next task whether it it be front wheel bearing repack, or this rear bearing/seal issue of which I'll be monitoring for gear oil depletion also.

Old 02-24-17, 09:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Best to repair seal now. Gear oil does not clean off brakes.

Old 02-25-17, 04:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the gear oil doesn't set on the brake shoes long term you can be fairly effective scrubbing off the oil with lacquer thinner. If feasible I'd want to do it all at the same time.

Old 02-25-17, 09:25 AM
Well, that's not good. I have not started with the right side drum brakes yet.

I'll start another thread. I already have questions