F250 Lariat electrical problems 2007

Old 05-18-17, 11:36 AM
F250 Lariat electrical problems 2007

Looking at a truck to purchase with electrical problems. Engine is running and a/c shuts down, radio, all electrical stuff while the engine is still running without moving. Turn off engine. Then it will not start without a jump. It is a 2007 truck with the 6.0 engine - diesel. My first thought is alternator, but why would it start the first time. It has been in the shop for electrical problems before according to the Carfax. The batteries are good. Really like the truck and can't afford a new one. Besides the alternator what could it be?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-17, 12:44 PM
Group Moderator
The batteries are good.
Then it will not start without a jump.
Doesn't sound like the batteries are good to me.
Make sure all the posts are clean. You need both batteries for starting.

Do you hear any clicks at all from the engine area when trying to restart ?

It would be impossible to guess why the accessory power is failing.
Since the items were working and stopped..... it wouldn't be fuses. It could be power relays. There are several out under the hood in that fuse box.

If the vehicle has a tilt wheel.... could be a broken ignition wire in the harness from the column to the dash.

Old 05-18-17, 05:11 PM
When the truck is started the first time it was fine. Then all the stuff starts to quit working. Truck is still running. Turn off the truck and try to start again and hear that click, click, click sound. That is when the dealer had to jump it.

Old 05-21-17, 08:18 AM
I would use a multimeter. And possibly use factory electrical wiring diagrams (part of a factory service manual set of books which can be 2000 pages long and specific to one vehicle.)

Last edited by PJmax; 05-21-17 at 05:51 PM. Reason: removed un-needed comment
Old 05-21-17, 09:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could be a grounding problem. Clean and check all of them.

Old 05-21-17, 12:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A diesel doesn't necessarily need the electrical system to run. I vote that your ECM is at fault, if Ford uses one. Like Mike, I think you may have a grounding problem either at one of the batteries or from the engine to body. You can trace them down pretty easily, visually.

All else failing, have the codes read and/or cleared after making a note of them.

Old 05-22-17, 09:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Checking the grounds is cheap to do and may be the problem.

Old 05-23-17, 09:00 AM
The dealer isn't fixing the problem because he knows the cost to repair so is selling as-is. I would have him fix it or walk away. Good luck.

Old 05-23-17, 03:46 PM
Really like the truck and can't afford a new one
Could be it's had electrical problems from the beginning. You may spend a lot more money trying to fix the problem with some good results or none at all. Had an electrical issue with a '97 F-250 that Ford could never find or fix. I finally fixed it myself, I got rid of the truck! You said you cannot afford a new truck and I can sure understand that, I don't know how most people can. Keep looking you will find another one.

Old 05-23-17, 04:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
One of my former helpers went to a payday type car lot and was in the process of buying a $1200 small pick up truck. When it came time to print out the temp tag, the State had a hold on it. The dealer, in usual fashion, began to work on him and up sold him to a Ford Escape for $4200 The boy could barely afford the $1200. Brought the Escape to the shop to show it off and the CEL was on as was the airbag and ABS lights. Dealer told him it was nothing.

I note the Escape is back on the dealer's lot waiting for some other unsuspecting soul.

Old 06-10-17, 08:37 PM
THIS Diesel has injectors that are electronically triggered/fired/pulsed.
NOT like an old purely mechanically injected Diesel

Old 06-10-17, 09:57 PM
throw in a set of new batts.

only way to fix this is to start with fresh batteries to help narrow down what is happening. you are having a voltage problem, start with good batteries to avoid guesswork.
That said, and not related to your current issue, it is a 6.0 diesel that I personally love and own. I work on alot of them. how many miles? has there been a myriad of updates done to the injector system? These are a maintenance sensitive beast. use good oil and change at 4500 miles religiously. do not be tempted chip it for more power as they don't need it and you will be spending time and money on unneeded repairs that can get to be very expensive.