Toyota Tacoma A/C

Old 07-08-17, 04:16 AM
Toyota Tacoma A/C

I have a Toyota Tacoma 2003. I use the AC all year long. During the last few summers, I have noticed that the air is not as cold as compared to 10 years ago, especially when parked in the street.

What can I do to get it like it was before?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-17, 04:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I just had the same problem with my 12 tear old van. Put in about 3/4 can of Freon and is just as cold as before. It as to have a slow leak but we could not find one. If I can get a couple of years on 12$ it's worth a try.

Old 07-08-17, 05:47 AM
Group Moderator
If your truck is R134a then recharging is an option. It likely is but look for a label under the hood of your truck. it is quite easy to do.

Old 07-08-17, 11:06 AM
Mine is now 11 years old and I noticed the same thing last summer. I used AC Pro to add R-134a refrigerant with great results. I checked the prices at Advance Auto Parts, Autozone and NAPA; NAPA was the least expense of those three. But......Home Depot was cheaper than even NAPA for the exact same item.

Old 07-08-17, 08:50 PM
I bought a can of AC Pro and it seems fairly easy to use. However, the gauge showed that I am already within the limit already so I did not use it.

I guess that parking on the streets just will take 20 minutes longer to get to the same cold level when as to park in the garage.

Old 07-08-17, 10:07 PM
the system could be low as others mentioned or if the ac works well when going down the road and not so well when stopped it could have a fan or fan clutch issue also causing poor performance.
the most reliable way to check the a/c system is with manifold gauges the refill kits with only a low side gauge is not going to really be of that much help but maybe get you at least full enough to see some cooling by going off of low side pressures only.
but since you already bought it would probably give it a try and with current ambient temp selected the readings will likely be on the higher side of the 10 psi window but a 10 psi window is a large window, the low side pressure doesn't increase that much from adding a few ounces of Freon so you may still be within range but it can make a big difference in system performance.
another option would be to see a shop have it checked over and system charged.

Old 07-11-17, 04:07 AM
I appreciate the replies gentlemen.

I am concern of overcharging the system. The ac still works but just take 20 minutes longer when parked outside. I can live with that for now but I may take it in for service if it gets worst

Thanks

Old 07-11-17, 06:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you raise the idle up to about 1200 you will see the gauge go down. Mine read the same but I still dumped 1/2 can in to try and the difference was noticeable. 1/2 can should not hurt anything. Many years ago I was a auto A/C guy and It took a lot of Freon to cause problems. But this was back in R 12 days.

Old 07-29-17, 02:15 AM
I did what you recommended and it has been good Pugsi. Thank You