Videos show transmission tray and filters, I only see drain bolt and fill plug

Old 07-17-17, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Videos show transmission tray and filters, I only see drain bolt and fill plug

This is for a 2006 Dodge RAM 1500 ST Regular cab 3.7L V6 RWD

Every video I look up on changing the transmission fluid is showing a tray being removed and an external filter (similar to an oil filter) and an internal filter.

I went to the parts store yesterday and purchased the internal filter, came in a box.
They said they didn't have the external filter but that didn't necessarily mean the truck did or did not have one.

So I went to look under the truck and I swear I couldn't see neither anything close to the type of tray being removed in the videos nor a transmission fluid filter.
But I figure the tray has to be there since the parts store sold me an internal filter based on year/make/model/engine...right?

What I did see was what appeared to be a drain bolt on the bottom of the transmission as well as what appeared to be a fill plug on the driver's side of the transmission.

Has anyone changed the transmission fluid in a Generation 3 (2006) RAM 1500 ST Regular cab 3.7L V6 RWD and if so, what is the process?

In other words is it drain and refill like it appears or did I somehow miss the tray?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-17, 09:54 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
is this an automatic or manual transmission typically an automatic will have a pan that will need removed and have an internal filter a manual just has a drain and fill plug.

Old 07-17-17, 10:43 AM
That's the answer! it's a 6-speed, thank you

Old 07-17-17, 09:18 PM
ATF +4 is the fluid to use for this.
The dealer said 4.6 pints (=2.3 quarts).
I put in 3.5 quarts so far and nothing leaking out of the fill hole to indicate it's filled to capacity.
Given that I've run out of ATF +4, are either of these a substitute that won't hurt the transmission?

(Left) "DEX/MERC"
(Right) "MULTI-VEHICLE ATF Meets Dexron-III/Mercon performance requirements"

Attached Images  
Old 07-17-17, 09:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 380 Votes on 357 Posts
If looks like ATF + 4 is fully synthetic.

Looks like both carry DEX specs which would not be compatible with the Chrysler ATF+4

The fluid you use must be approved for ATF+4 applications.
Frequently Asked Questions | Chrysler ATF+4 Licensing Program

Old 07-18-17, 07:44 AM
ok so it's another trip to the parts store, no problem.

Called the dealer again, they swear the specs dictate 4.6 pints (=2.3 quarts) of ATF +4.

I've already put in about 3.5 quarts and nothing's dripping out of the fill hole. Should I just keep adding until it drips out like in most applications or for the GETRAG 238 transmission do I just put in the 2.3 quarts and not expect any fluid to drip back out?

Old 07-18-17, 02:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 380 Votes on 357 Posts
Every manual trans I ever worked on..... you filled it until the fluid was up to the fill hole. I've never worked on any trans that used ATF though.

This says 2007 but should be identical to yours. There are several 6 speed transmissions listed. rambodybuilder/2007/docs/dr/fc.pdf

Old 07-19-17, 06:30 AM
ok so everywhere I look, including that document referenced above - thank you, says 2.3 quarts. I know there's at minimum 3 quarts in there and no drip.
The only conclusion is I have to be pumping the fluid in the wrong hole.

Old 07-19-17, 04:40 PM
Oh snap I just looked at it and on the passenger side there's a matching black plug and that's the fill plug!
Since the silver 12mm bolt is located higher than the black fill plug, when I undid the black fill plug, fresh tranny fluid started coming out.
Those 12mm silver bolts are all over the tranny and they plug up a hole that will accept fluid ... what is the purpose?
So the question becomes, should I drain the excess fluid I put in through the top plug because:
a) you're not supposed to overfill a tranny
or
b) should I leave the excess fluid in there since I've also read about people who purposely overfill a tranny
?