Radiator Drain Valve

Old 09-30-17, 06:53 AM
Radiator Drain Valve

1989 K1500 350

Anyone have luck with this type of drain valve? On the side of the radiator you attach a
3/8 hose to drain it in a bucket.

After 2 hours I maybe had a half gallon, driving me crazy. Installing a new water pump
and the easiest part is turning out to be the most aggravating.

Thanks

Name:  D VALVE.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  37.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-17, 07:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you remove the radiator cap so the air could flow? Sometimes, it's easier to disconnect the bottom hose.

Old 09-30-17, 07:15 AM
Yes I did. First time I was going to just change the hoses and it drained sorta good.. Found out it is the weep hole on the pump
so I tried again. Rather odd way of doing it, most people I've talked to have never seen that kind.

Old 09-30-17, 07:16 AM
Can't help with the valve. But whenever I change a water pump I usually remove the lower rad. hose to drain since you are going to be removing it from the pump anyway. I always put new hoses on with any pump change since it's cheap insurance. YMMV

Old 09-30-17, 07:47 AM
I've seen that type of drain before although they aren't common. As Ron said, just replace the hoses.

Old 10-01-17, 03:22 AM
I finally put a big under-bed tote under it and pulled the hose.

Hardest part seemed to be putting the gaskets and pump on and starting the bolts.

So I cut the heads off a couple 6" bolts, slide the pump on and bolted it up. I'm sure
someone must of thought of this before but I'll take the credit.

Name:  bolts2.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  93.9 KB

Old 10-01-17, 04:08 AM
Another trick is to strip some stranded wire. Loop it through the bolt & gasket holes. Start the bolts & remove the wire. It's easier than cutting the heads.

Old 10-01-17, 08:21 AM
So I cut the heads off a couple 6" bolts, slide the pump on and bolted it up. I'm sure
someone must of thought of this before but I'll take the credit.
That's a trick older mechanics use on heavy stuff like transmission installs but work well for a lot of other things that are heavy or in difficult locations when you need a third hand. Save the bolts you may find another need for them some day, I have a bunch of various sizes of them. One other thing is to cut slots on the ends of them so you can use a screwdriver to unscrew them if needed. I also grind or file a bevel on the outer edge to keep parts from sometimes catching when sliding them on. Sure beats trying to hold a part and start a bolt, with the added benefit of not dropping and damaging things.

Old 10-01-17, 08:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
So I cut the heads off a couple 6" bolts, slide the pump on and bolted it up.
I seem to learn a new trick here all the time. Although I've never been a auto mechanic by trade, I have many many repairs, rebuilds etc in my early years & still tinkering, though I dont do any heavy stuff any more. Ahhh, them old 60's & 70's vehicles.... memories.

Thanks for mentioning that.

Old 10-02-17, 05:02 AM
One other thing is to cut slots on the ends of them so you can use a screwdriver to unscrew them if needed.

Good idea there, I did have to do a couple turns on one with pliers. Still no idea on that silly drain.

Ahhh, them old 60's & 70's vehicles.... memories.

As a kid I had three different 58 Pontiacs, nice car. This 89 isn't bad, you can actually see all the spark plugs.

Thanks guys, the old girl is fixed.