installing wiring harness on tacoma pickup

Old 10-05-17, 05:38 PM
installing wiring harness on tacoma pickup

I easily pulled this trailer with my 1993 Ford CV (crown victoria) for years and connected the Ford wiring from a hobbie-brand, plug-in connection I stored inside the trunk to the trailer plug. The CV has moved to a new owner and now I want to pull the trailer with a 2003 Toyota Tacoma. I removed the hobbie connection and wiring from inside the CV trunk and will connect it to the Tacoma under the truck bed. I have installed a Reese pro series hitch (model number 51108) on the Tacoma. Have any of you installed a hobbie-brand electrical connection to your hitch on a Tacoma or connected the connector to the Tacoma body? I thought you might have a better idea than I do for this connection installation. Thanks.

Last edited by LKV1; 10-05-17 at 05:40 PM. Reason: mis-spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-17, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
Older vehicles had a common brake/flasher bulb setup which made 4 wire trailer connections fairly easy. Now most vehicles use a flasher filament separate from the brake bulb which means a conversion box is used to convert a 5 wire vehicle to a 4 wire trailer.

Are you looking for an actual plug into the factory harness or a generic convertor box ? They both use the box but the factory type should intercept an existing harness plug.

This link illustrates using the factory wiring harness with no cutting involved. You can change the 4 pin flat plug to match your connector.
etrailer/install-trailer-wiring-2003-toyota-tacoma-118379.aspx

Old 10-06-17, 06:31 PM
Pete: Thanks for the help. I did not know I was going to have to abandon my trailer male connector and my towing vehicle female connector. I was going to hard wire the towing vehicle wiring into my female wiring harness. I guess that will not work. thanks for getting me back on track.

Old 10-07-17, 12:05 AM
Group Moderator
You can still use your four pin connectors but it gets converted at the vehicle. The four pin plug stays on the trailer and the car vehicle end gets attached to the convertor.