adjustable height trailer hitch ball mount

Old 10-05-17, 05:41 PM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
adjustable height trailer hitch ball mount

My new pickup sets a bit higher than the old one, so hooked up my trailers this past weekend, took them each for a short shake down, parked on a level surface, checked the trailers for level, and came up with some new drop heights that I need. While looking online last night and this evening I got to thinking that, since I ideally need three different heights, all within a couple of inches of each other, maybe an adjustable height mount is the way to go. But I'm not sure I necessarily like the idea of two pieces pinned together, rather than a one piece forged or welded mount, and can't think of anyone I know who has an adjustable one, so wondering if anyone here has any experience with them. Pros? Cons?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-17, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
They are all over the place out here. There are a ton of lifted trucks and no way they could hook to a regular height trailer hitch. Now, are we talking an adjustable ball? or the actual hitch? I've never seen the second. I'm also assuming you have a receiver hitch already?

For the price of a quality adjustable ball mount, you could just buy a couple of dropped inserts and extra balls for them.

What kind of truck? Whats the heaviest you'll tow?

Old 10-06-17, 02:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
I assume you are referring to one of these - Reese Towpower Class III Adjustable Ball Mount | Bass Pro Shops

Personally I'd rather have the traditional hitch even if it meant having more than one.

Old 10-06-17, 03:09 AM
A
Thank you guys. It's for a Ram 2500 with a typical receiver type hitch, so was referring to just the ball mount, similar to what Mark linked, except that it's a class V with 2-1/2" opening. I most likely will end up sticking with conventional ones, but was thinking that since three different heights are involved an adjustable one might make as much sense. Happened to think just as I was crawling into bed last night though that I might have missed something and may only need two new mounts because one of the old ones might be close enough to change the ball and use with one of the other trailers. What I have will work in the mean time, and I suppose it's one of those things that a lot of people don't pay much attention to, but I try to keep the trailers level, which of course keeps the load balanced on the tires, springs, etc.

Old 10-06-17, 05:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 586 Votes on 540 Posts
I would stick with a conventional, non-adjustable type. Just pick a height in the middle of the range for your trailers. Heavy duty adjustable ones are quite heavy and I don't like the extra looseness and clunkiness plus there is the hassle of having to adjust the hitch. I'm pulling trailers often enough that I just want to back up and hitch up without having to remember what height and then set the hitch just to grab a trailer.

Old 10-06-17, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
Odd time for the question too...coincidental I mean. Local HD is clearancing a bunch of balls and inserts as well as a bunch of towing accessories. Looks like either they're making that area smaller or possibly getting a new brand? It's all Reese right now. May run down today and see if anything is left. I mean, when I was there before it was balls for $3-4, drawbars for $8-10, etc.

Old 10-06-17, 03:34 PM
A
Thank you; that's good to know. Not going back out this evening, and our nearest HD is kind of a pain to get to, traffic-wise, but will check their website this evening to see what they have, and if that doesn't pan out may take a run over there in the morning before too many people are out and about.

Old 10-06-17, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, I checked this afternoon...guess it was longer ago than I thought. All the Reese stuff is gone from my store and they have some brand called TowSmart. I guess they aren't fly by night but I never heard of them before. And they have a much better display that is actually organized.

Might still check, not like they do all the stores all at once.

Old 10-07-17, 02:50 AM
A
Had one of those momentary lapses when you first mentioned HD, but we do have three within about 40-50 miles, and the two farthest ones are actually quicker to get to due to less traffic, so checked all three of their inventories online last night and they're down to basically balls and a couple of more common mounts like 1-1/2" drop, etc. I appreciate the tip though because it was definitely worth checking out. So I'll just go online today, etrailer or wherever, and order what I need. Will stick with the fixed ones rather than adjustable, and was looking at my measurements again last night thinking that may only need two new ones anyway.