Anyone tow a vehicle behind an RV? Tow bar question.

Old 10-07-17, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator
Anyone tow a vehicle behind an RV? Tow bar question.

So, when I got the B2300, he also gave me the collapsible tow bar that went with it. The truck was a tow behind for the first owner who would haul it behind his motor home. I think the truck mounts may be welded, I'd have to look again. So anyway, I've got the ball mount tow bar and I took off the quick release brackets (?) that bolt to the parts attached to the truck. It's a adjustable Stowmaster setup for a believe a 2" ball. It's probably older...maybe 10 yrs? Everything works as far as I can tell. Does anyone with experience think it's worth anything? Is it a good unit or more a bottom of the line? Where would I go to find someone that might know? RV dealer or hitch installer or RV repair?

2nd question
If I wind up taking the brackets off the truck (assuming they are bolted), it's gonna leave me with 2 cutouts in the plastic splitter under the bumper. Figure I can probably mount some fog or driving lights in that space. Any decent inexpensive brands? LED style of course. They won't get used a lot, since it won't be driven at night much. Just figured it as a good way to fill the gaps. Other suggestions invited.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-17, 01:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My oldest son delivers trucks and uses his pickup as a chase vehicle. He has that type of set up except he uses a pintle hook instead of a ball. I think the brackets on his frame are both welded and bolted although his mounts are higher on the bumper. I would think an RV dealer would be the best place to find out the value of your tow bar. I'll try to remember and ask him about his next time I talk to him.

Old 10-07-17, 07:00 AM
Here are new ones to guide you in pricing:

https://www.amazon.com/stowmaster-to...er%20tow%20bar

Old 10-07-17, 07:09 AM
Group Moderator
Roadmaster makes quality tow bars. I have one on my parents motor home. The resale value on a used tow bar is pretty low. Look at the sliding parts to the extendable bars.... if they don't slide easily in and out then it has very little resale value.

The brackets should be bolted on to your vehicle as those bars are usually sold with the matching vehicle kit.

Old 10-07-17, 10:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just talked to mark jr and he says the foldable tow bars are worth a lot more than the ones that just angle up when not in use. He'd estimate it's worth at $200-$500 but said to check craigslist, ebay, etc. to get a better handle on what they go for used in your area.

Old 10-07-17, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
Excellent! TY all. I mean, makes the little truck look a bit tougher with these rams sticking out in from (lol) but I bashed my knee twice already. Now I treat it like walking behind a horse. A hand on the hood, arm fully extended, just to let it know I'm there. And I'll surely never use it, so why not clean 'em up and sell 'em. Forgot to say it's in excellent shape, no rust, bars move smoothly, all pins and cables still there I believe.

Hey, if I get enough to pay for the tires I put on, it's a zero sum game.

Old 10-07-17, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... my parents have a Jeep Cherokee that they tow and I'm forever hitting the tow attachment points.