Odd pricing of vehicles for sale on Craigs List

Old 11-20-17, 07:39 PM
Odd pricing of vehicles for sale on Craigs List

I'd like to buy a Tacoma pickup- the smaller size truck made through 2004. Looking on CL I sometimes see trucks listed at odd prices: $1500 for a truck that bluebooks at $8k or $9k. Then I'll see the same truck listed in a nearby Craigs List, same photos, same odd price or a few dollars different, different telephone numbers.

I've seen this in different CL cities, so it's not a local thing. Is it a scam? I've responded back to the email listed but no replies back to me. I'd appreciate your thoughts and experience - what's up with this?

Thanks
Dave O

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-17, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator
Yes, most often it's a scam. They'll want to meet somewhere so you can see and drive it and then take whatever you have. That's assuming the dates of the postings are the same. If they are weeks or months apart, well, that COULD explain different phone numbers.

If it's an actual real ad, then you know the pictures are old or they had to push the truck into position. Likely the tranny or engine is shot or it's crashed and rusted and they don't want to mention that. Why else would the price be so low?

That said...I can't believe that a 13 y/o truck would bluebook that high, unless it had the TRD package, 4wd, and was all gussied up with low miles and perfect body, etc. Though believe me, I know trucks in decent shape can get a premium.

Old 11-21-17, 03:14 AM
I buy and sell tons of stuff on CL and met a lot of really nice folks and to date have never had a bad situation.

You have to use common sense, if something looks out of wack then it probably is, just walk away.

Simple rules, always ask for phone numbers, it's minor but eliminates a lot of the problems.

Old 11-21-17, 04:27 AM
Thanks for responses- I've been applying the 'if it sounds too good to be true, it is' rule, just trying to figure out the game. I've heard (and heeded) the stories where somebody shows up, cash in hand, to snap up that steal of a deal, only to get robbed.

Too funny, Vic, your "can't believe' note above matches my search parameters exactly: 4wd, low miles, etc.

Old 11-21-17, 04:45 AM
It's possible that the Owner of the vehicle just isn't interested in dealing with prospective Buyers and has employed some BirdDogs (for a Fee or %) who'll use the same pictures to try and attract a Buyer . . . . although this shouldn't occur simultaneously with multiple people scurrying around trying to find prey; but it could.

Old 11-21-17, 05:36 AM
Group Moderator
I use CL from time to time and generally do fine. Of course, an awful lot of people want you to sell your items for next to nothing. Just listed my Mom's power lift chair recliner yesterday [like new, only got to use for about 2 months before moving to a nursing facility]. It was over $600 new and I listed for $300. New email this morning: "what's the least price you could go on your advertised chair on craigslist?"

Old 11-21-17, 06:15 AM
This past Saturday I sold a motorcycle, courtesy of an ad that I had placed on CraigsList, but, in retrospect, have to admit that my ad probably looked more like a scam than anything else, and seriously doubt that I would have replied to it, even if it were something I was interested in buying. The bike still looked great, but was close to 40 years old and had set for many years, indoors, but with no maintenance, so I listed it by description only, available as parts or complete, no prices, no pictures, figuring I might be lucky to maybe sell the tank, seats, fenders, or whatever, and would end up scrapping the rest. As it turned out a guy who was interested in it did contact me, I sent him some pictures and answered his questions via CL's email system, and he bought the entire bike. I got as much money as I wanted for it, and he may have a running bike if he wishes to put the time into it for a complete overhaul, or at worst case has parts that he can sell to return his investment, and I honestly think that we both came out fine. So my point is, although I cannot explain multiple listings of the same vehicle with varying prices and contact information, I do understand why some of the ads may seem vague.

Old 11-21-17, 07:43 AM
As a hobby I spend time on Craigs list mostly under the Heavy Equipment heading and flag at least 500 a week under all 50 states.
Often times there stealing pictures off of other websites, they have figured out how to use local sounding phone #'s.
99% of the time just reading the ad you can see it's a scam, odd sounding decription, odd ball price, of price 1/2 of what it should be sold for.
Eg; A 1997 skid loader with just 36 hours, clear title (never heard of items like bulldozers, skid loaders, tractors even having a title) new tracks, engine and selling the whole thing for less than the parts would cost.
Ad decription is full of adjectives, but no hours, year and often not a single picture or phone #.
Color of the item listed in the main heading, the word's "wheels and tires" in the main heading when the item there selling has nothing to do with wheels and tires.
Often I'll find the same ad posted in all 50 states, different prices, different phone #'s.
If you do make contact and you think it may be a scam be ready for a song and dance, there going to try and get your direct email address, there selling for a "friend", I'm overseas, send money and I'll ship it to you for free, Ect.

Old 11-21-17, 01:35 PM
Group Moderator
And here's what I got back when I replied it was too early to reduce the price:

"That's fair enough, please I will mail you a check and include my movers fee and when everything is cleared and set, you will pay them the excess when they come for pick up. Okay?"

Do people actually fall for that stuff anymore?

Old 11-21-17, 06:41 PM
Group Moderator
Email is free. Send an email to the Lister and see what comes back. I have responded to very good deals on CL only to get a reply saying that the item is out of state but they will ship it to me. Yeah, right! If the item sounds real and they give you a phone number, it might be a real deal. Of course, do not show up with a fist full of cash, or if you do, show up not alone.

Old 11-22-17, 05:00 AM
All good info, thanks. I texted a response to an ad and got an email back later: my husband's truck. he just passed, I'm moving, need to leave the memory behind. Just on a whim I searched on the name and got a hit on a website called antiscammers.org. This person uses the same name and methods to get payments via ebay, apparently, and works CL across the country.

So setting aside the scams and the kids that have DIY'd the lift job and put every known bell, whistle, and doodad on their truck, I'm sure I'll find something!

Old 11-22-17, 09:35 AM
an awful lot of people want you to sell your items for next to nothing
But on the other hand I find a lot of people asking way to much. It's not hard, especially with selling sites like eBay to see what items have sold for.

I can understand that you want 80% of what you paid "new" but if everybody else is selling for 40% not much is going to happen.

I've tried to show evidence of selling price but usually the seller doesn't want to hear so it sits for months before they get a clue.

Old 11-22-17, 12:25 PM
It is amazing the scams people try and I ask the same question, "Does anybody fall for that garbage?". I've bought a couple of things and sold a little more than I've bought. Buyers seem very aloof , "Do you still have it?" and no further response. I have one policy on CL, one inkling of something not being right and I move on. If the price seems too good to be true I'm scared to death to check it out.

Old 11-22-17, 03:10 PM
I've shopped for cars on CL, but never purchased one. I gave up after spending too much time weeding out the scams. If a phone number is listed, I usually Google it and see if it pops up anywhere else. And I look for little clues, like someone saying their location is in one state, but the car in the picture has different state tags on it. Or the more glaring things like, "Moon roof! Crew cab truck!" And there's no moon roof, and it's a regular cab in the pictures. Or the ones with an email address plastered across the photo, and an oddball price like $1,512. Not 100% a guarantee of a scam (maybe 95%), but enough to make me not waste my time.

Same thing with apartments, when I was looking for a move out of state. The listing says, "All hardwood floors! 23rd floor apartment!" And the pictures show wall to wall carpet, and going to Google Streetview shows a 4 story building.

Old 11-23-17, 10:52 AM
As you've figured out - these are scams.
If you can't look at it and touch it then it doesn't exist.
Mostly they're either fishing for email addresses to sell for spam or they want you to send a check and then goodbye money.
That being said I have sold some unique things (mostly vintage stereo gear) on CL and shipped them with no problems.

Old 11-23-17, 11:49 AM
There are some real winners on CL, below is a copy of an email I received from a clown regarding a car I had for sale recently. I responded to him, sure but I required a 35K non-refundable deposit in cash when he came to borrow it but I didn't hear back from him, don't know why.

Itís my dads birthday today. And was wondering if I can borrow the mustang for a day. $300 for a day..? This was his first car so it would mean a lot to him..

Thanks,
Nick