Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Does anyone have an F-150 P/U

CO

11-28-17, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Does anyone have an F-150 P/U

Does anyone have a 97f150 4.6 L 4 x 4?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

11-28-17, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)  
You could add a reason for your inquiry to save some time.

~ Pete ~

CO

11-28-17, 07:36 PM   #3 (permalink)  
I am trying to find a part for my truck and I would like to see it on a truck so I know more about what I am looking for. If anyone has the listed truck and could take a clear picture of where the transmission lines connect to the radiator, it would be really helpful. thanks in advance.

Forum Topic Moderator

NE

11-28-17, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Are you just trolling for more info than what you already have in this thread?

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/p...d-98-f150.html

Forum Topic Moderator

NE

11-28-17, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Try this image from a f150 repair manual.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dJK0maIIG7xOTOBH2

Based on the pic in your other thread, I'd say your hydraulic line is not OEM.

Last edited by XSleeper; 11-28-17 at 08:47 PM.

CO

11-28-17, 08:41 PM   #6 (permalink)  
So first of all I am not trolling. I followed the information in that thread and while it was good info it was not the right part. So I am trying a different method and starting from scratch, and come hell or high water I will get the right part in there. So if someone can provide a picture of the area of the listed truck, I would really appreciate.

CO

11-28-17, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)  
also that link did not work

Forum Topic Moderator

NE

11-28-17, 08:48 PM   #8 (permalink)  
Try it now..?...................

CO

11-28-17, 09:41 PM   #9 (permalink)  
So that is definitely one of the suggestions that Iíve heard to try (which I did) but seeing that I have also heard five others I am wanting to start over from the beginning and not assume anything and go based off what the majority of pictures of actual ford trucks that I can get

Last edited by tylercc; 11-28-17 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Clarify something

Super Moderator

NJ

11-28-17, 10:12 PM   #10 (permalink)  
Its hard because we are not there. And it is assumed you have the wrong radiator installed..

This is the fitting that comes with the factory replacement radiator for 4.6l is ( as well as 4.2)

Adapter 1/2"-20 UNF Female X 3/8"-18 NPT Male. You said these sizes are wrong...

What are we to do?

Go to autoparts store and ask to see a radiator in the vavious engine sizes and see what adapter they may have...

The adapter that comes with the 5.4 radiator is,

Adapter 5/8"-18 UNF Female X 3/8"-18 NPT Male

Mike NJ

"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".

- Albert Einstein

Super Moderator

NJ

11-28-17, 10:25 PM   #11 (permalink)  
So in this video you can tell us that the threaded piece on the line does not fit into the current radiator fittings as shown??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93IGCKXsG8k

Mike NJ

"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".

- Albert Einstein

Super Moderator

NJ

11-28-17, 10:32 PM   #12 (permalink)  
And just to be clear... You have the part on your line already where the top arrow is pointing as far as I can see in your other thread..

If that dont fit in the current radiator fitting then are you,

1. Trying to find an adapter on the rad side?
2. Or trying to find an adapter between line, and rad fitting. ? ( Which I dont think you will find due to size difference and laws of physics . They are probably too close in size to make a male and female bushing work with the sizes you have.

Mike NJ

- Albert Einstein

CO

11-29-17, 12:08 AM   #13 (permalink)  
So all that I am wanting is pictures of f150s like mine so I can know for sure what is the right fix. No it does not fit like showed in the video. I personally think that the wrong part was used when my mechanic was rebuilding the truck, and he is pretty sure there needs to be a connector in there. Since my truck is still under warranty if I can show that he accidentally made a mistake then the installment of a new radiator will be free. If I get 100 pictures that show there is a connector there then at least I know what I am looking for. I am not too sure why this is a problem, all I am wanting to do is set all opinions aside for now about how to connect the two and just see what the pictures show. Does anyone have a problem posting a picture of this part of their truck to help me?

Super Moderator

NJ

11-29-17, 12:31 AM   #14 (permalink)  
Dude. There is no other part... That line with that fitting goes into the fitting in the rad. Just like the pic below. They were like that all the way up to 2005 or 2006 when they went to the clip in type.

Watch any video on you tube of ford f 150 rad removal. They all show the same....

Why dont you show us a pic of a ford with such an adapter you are talking about... Cant find one im sure...

Mike NJ

- Albert Einstein

Super Moderator

NJ

11-29-17, 12:37 AM   #15 (permalink)  
Call ford and ask them what this part is... Its a Ford # and probably what your looking for...

Ford P/N F75E-6B894-DB

Mike NJ

- Albert Einstein

Super Moderator

NJ

11-29-17, 12:48 AM   #16 (permalink)  
https://lmr.com/item/LTP-BR9043-K/f-...apter-kit-9904

Mike NJ

- Albert Einstein

CO

11-29-17, 01:02 AM   #17 (permalink)  
So here is a picture of one of many f150s from 96, 98, and 99 at my junk yard.
I have called ford and they seem to think that this coupling is in there.
This discrepancy is the exact reason I want pictures of lots of pictures not just manuals or one youtube video. For every experienced person like your self I have five others give five other ways it should be done, So why don't you please do me a favor and let someone with a picture of a 97f150 4.6 L 4 x 4 post their picture? I think this is getting to the point of badgering, which is not really helpful to me.

Attached Images

Forum Topic Moderator

NE

11-29-17, 03:01 AM   #18 (permalink)  
And it is assumed you have the wrong radiator installed..
I doubt it's the wrong radiator. The manual picture and his picture in post#1 are identical except for the modification with the rubber hose and additional flared fitting.

My bet is that the fitting on the left side of the rubber fitting is probably from some other vehicle entirely... maybe even Chevy. (If the lower line doesn't match the upper one, there is your proof) Your original fitting is on the right side of the rubber hose, with a short length of pipe where it has been cut off. At some point on that same transmission line there is probably another hose clamp and rubber hose where someone spliced in a salvaged repair section. My guess is you are wanting an "adapter" that #1, isn't OEM and #2, probably doesn't exist.

And we are badgering you? I guess it was a waste of time to post a photo from the 97-03 Ford F150 repair manual of exactly what it SHOULD look like. Cuz that photo isn't from an actual F-150...

CO

11-29-17, 09:58 AM   #19 (permalink)  
So actually they do match the picture that was posted from the manual. I have been going off what my mechanic has said and this has me chasing what feels like a ghost. This is why I want to back to basic of other f150's like mine because what my mechanic is saying disagrees with what XSleeper and lawrosa are saying, I am guessing he has read the manual. XSleeper you are not badgering me it does feel like lawrosa is because he does not seem to be interested in the pictures of other f150. Also XSleeper what picture are you saying is not from a f150?

Forum Topic Moderator

NE

11-29-17, 10:29 AM   #20 (permalink)  
I am saying that if someone put on a 2 or 3 foot piece of hydraulic line to make a repair and left the flared fitting on the end (the end that isn't screwed into anything), that it could literally be from any vehicle on the planet... not necessarily a Ford part. I didn't say anything about a picture not being from an F150.

Trace that line hydraulic line back a ways and look for another coupling. If you cant do that i think we are done here.

People are going to quit offering advice and get frustrated if they feel like you arent looking into what they have suggested, because then it's like the person giving the free advice has just wasted their time. No one is upset, It's just that all we can do is offer advice. You have to be the one to figure it out and do it based on the advice. There was good advice in the original thread... esp the diagram of your hydraulic line. And more than one thread on the exact same topic tends to just confuse matters... Plus it disses the people to tried to help the last time. That's just how it works online.

Super Moderator

NJ

11-29-17, 11:31 AM   #21 (permalink)  
97 f150 vids. All the same fitting...Even off years up to 2003 as sleeper says.. and any ford of that era if you care to look...

I would believe you if you can show any ford with the adapter you are looking for.

Ive been working on cars some 40 years and this is not my first rodeo.. If you think im badgering you, you're wrong... I'm trying to help you...

But after this post I will go away as it seems your a bit stubborn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxnJm3jQUTA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93IGCKXsG8k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fglxZZsdJtk

explorer 91-2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCgmMvYHQ78

99 explorer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YgCZehWbh8

98-2011 ranger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x1cOcLuEBk

Now!!! When you get down to the 1990's there is a flare coupling... Its inside flare on one end I believe... But this rad fitting is not what your original picture shows...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrMCsg4Ru0I

So you are comparing this...

To this...

You see in your picture you have the correct fitting on the line... If you take the barbed fitting out of the rad that someone installed I understand that you say the line does not fit in there and is too small, correct?

And as I stated if the above is true you will not find that fitting. As the size is too close to get an inside flare female and a male npt on the other end...

Mike NJ

- Albert Einstein

LA

12-03-17, 05:04 PM   #22 (permalink)  
TylerCC,
Here is your picture. It came from my son's 97 F150 4.6L 2wd.

Attached Images

Last edited by Jim1957; 12-03-17 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Correct typo...

Forum Topic Moderator

NE

12-03-17, 05:23 PM   #23 (permalink)  
Nice pic Jim! I would post one but mine is a manual... wouldn't help much if there is no automatic transmission line. Heh heh.

LA

12-03-17, 05:35 PM   #24 (permalink)  
So here's what I think may be the rest of the story. In early 1996 Ford introduced the 97 F150 in the middle of what was the 1996 model year. My son's 97 model was actually manufactured in February 1996. I suspect there were some holdover parts from the 1996 models that were eventually phased out and this may be one of them...

Thanks,
Jim

Super Moderator

NJ

12-03-17, 05:55 PM   #25 (permalink)  
Yes its a inverted flar x npt.... But from the op's pics he dont have male threads coming off the rad...

The op fails to post pics of what he has apart....

Mike NJ

- Albert Einstein

Search this Thread