P/S pump whine

Old 11-28-17, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
P/S pump whine

Anyone know if it's a common issue for the pump to whine with engine speed on a 97 Ford Ranger 4 cyl? Or just older Ford 4 cyl's in general? It's really a Mazda B-2300, but same-o same-o as Ranger.

No leaks, no steering issues, probably original. Doesn't seem to change from warm to cold. It's just kind of annoying when the windows are down.

May hit one of the Ranger forums if no experiences here.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-17, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
I think it is. Dad's Ranger whines like that.

Old 11-28-17, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator
Jeez, I think there's as many "whining Ford P/S pump" posts out there as there are "cute cat videos". Guess it's a veeeerrrrryy common thing with no real fix. Some say synthetic Mobil-1 ATF, others say plain type F, some say Ford trans friction modifier additives, some say synthetic power steering fluid, some say replace the rack and use a kit with a Saginaw pump adapter, yadda yadda, blah blah blah.

Basically it's try different things til you get fed up and just let it whine til you sell it. Or buy a new stereo with massive subwoofers. Yeah, that sounds about right.

Old 11-28-17, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator
You sure its the P/S pump?

My s 10 did that but it was the a/c bearing.... Same sound as P/s...

Old 11-29-17, 03:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My wife's previous car [2003 merc] had a whiny power steering pump. The factory pump was quiet but t leaked so I replaced it and the replacement was noisy so I replaced it again - no change. I also tried using the synthetic oil and other additives but nothing helped. The good news that although noisy, the pump worked fine.

Old 11-29-17, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, absolutely the P/S. The a/c is disabled cause it's got a bad leak so just the outer part is turning, but I used a funnel first then a stethoscope with a metal probe and it's definitely the pump.

Mark, you just summed up what half the people said in Ford specific Forums. Sometimes one of the tricks works, most don't and new pumps don't do anything unless the old is leaking/not working. And they said ALL the ones from auto parts places are rebuilds and they all whine from the get go. Factory OEM pumps are no longer available it seems. And I wouldn't pay the tariff anyway.

So, guess I'll probably leave it til spring and in the meantime try and find that noise like pebbles in the fan shroud when I start it sometimes.

Old 11-29-17, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator
The a/c is disabled cause it's got a bad leak so just the outer part is turning,
Thats where the bearing is.. Just saying is all..

Mine was intermittent. Then go loader and loader as time went on... Turning on a/c did not change the sound. It was hard to find..

Dont the power steering squeal change when you turn the wheel>

Another sound I had on my s 10, ( and I thought it was the bearing again) is the PcV valve became faulty... I load squeal it produced with engine speed changes....

Just pulling it out is how I found it... LOL I drove with that squeal for months....

Old 11-29-17, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, I realized what you said after I replied with facts that don't matter. Nope, no squealing...a little "groaning" sound if I hold it all the way to the stop, but most cars do similar. You can hear it loud as heck when you put the probe on the pump.