GMC sierra 1500 spare tire won't drop....

Old 11-29-17, 02:59 PM
GMC sierra 1500 spare tire won't drop....

So I recently bought this truck and one of the front tires was on the bald side but the spare looked good.. Decided I was going to switch em.. I take the tool that ya slide in next to the license plate---slide it in and start cranking and nothing.. Almost feels like it striped in there---like its not catching... The tire won't drop a bit.. I did a little research and see where this truck is known for the spare dropping and not releasing but this won't drop period.. I took the license plate off to see if I could get in there and cut the cable that holds it up but its snug under there and no room to get in.. Don't care about hurting this set-up..Does anyone know how to get it to drop at least enough to cut the cable?? I'm glad this happened in the drive way and not on the side of the road some place...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-17, 03:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Had the same problem, the tool is not centered on the crank. Get on your back and crawl under. Look up through the center hub of the wheel and have somebody insert the rod. It runs down a plastic shaft that has come undone from the crank assembly. You can align it manually and get it to engage. Once down, realign the tube and snap it into place so it doesn't happen again.

Old 11-30-17, 08:49 AM
Thanks, when I get home this evening I'm going to pull it in the shop and do this... This problem has been driving me crazy.. lol------ I'll let ya know how it worked out...

Old 11-30-17, 11:16 AM
There is another possibility. Not sure what year you have but the release mechanism is know to rust/freeze/lock in place so that even if you unspool the entire length of cable, you will never get the wheel down without other means. The issue is that there is a safety catch at the end of cable as it goes through the spare. That should release when the tension is released. You will see this occur if you are able to drop the wheel just a couple of inches and then it won't drop further. This is all dependent on the ability to unspool the cable with the crank mechanism. There are numerous youtube videos showing the issue and ways to get around it.

- Peter

Old 12-01-17, 09:31 AM
It was just as czizzi had figured.. The tube where you slide the crank tool in wasn't engaging the crank assembly do to the plastic tube coming off so it wasn't lining up.. Crawled under and reached up and popped the tube back so I could see the assembly and lined it up and down she came.... Thanks a lot... What a head ache..

Old 12-01-17, 09:37 AM
Its a 2006 for future reference for anyone else.. All though I imagine this fix could be applied to a lot of yrs and models from what I have read...