parking brake bracket coming off frame

Old 12-23-17, 12:23 PM
parking brake bracket coming off frame

This is on a 98 dodge dakota. The parking brake hasn't been working well for awhile. Cables have been replaced. Now the mechanic says the (welded??) bracket has come loose from the frame. Has this been seen before -- seems like it's not very likely to happen. Will welding it back to the frame work -- is that the solution? I naively tried to fix it with cable and a turnbuckle. Of course that didn't work. The turnbuckle eye was almost straight when I removed it.
Is there a solution?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-17, 12:41 PM
Group Moderator
You're talking about the bracket mounted to the frame rail under the vehicle.

On a vehicle of that age it is very possible for the bracket to have broken off. Usually the brackets are just spot welded on. I would have thought your mechanic would have mentioned if the bracket could have been welded back on.

Old 03-24-18, 01:12 PM
prolonged followup. I found a guy who would weld the bracket back on, AFTER I cleaned off all the rusted crap from the frame. Is scraping, poking... good enough or do I need to sand blast it? If sand blasting do/should I collect the abrasive "sand" -- since it's going to be in the open would plastic be good enough or do I need something more substantial? What do I need to look out for? The bracket is about 8" in front of the left wheel. It's accessible from the wheel well. Or should I find someone who knows what they're doing to do it? I'd have to buy a cheap set up from harbor freight.

Old 03-24-18, 01:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The cleaner the metal is the easier it is to weld but as long as the worst of the rust is removed it should be ok.

Old 03-24-18, 01:24 PM
Group Moderator
You could use an angle grinder to remove the rust and clean the metal.