03 Frontier AC problems

Old 12-28-17, 05:27 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
03 Frontier AC problems

Hi - my 03 Nissan Frontier has started blowing hot air again with the AC on. I say again, because I had the same issue a few months ago and had a garage check it out. They found no leaks and recharged it and it worked fine, and then like overnight it stopped working again two weeks ago. I don't drive it very often, so there may have been 500 miles on it since they recharged it.

It does cool down some if I'm driving on the highway, but warms up again in stop and go traffic.

Visually looking at it, the compressor engages when I turn the ac switch on. I bought a set of the manifold gauges and hooked them up. My readings on both the high and low side are right around 75 psi, with or without the ac switch engaged. When engaged they were rising slightly until I shut it off. I would have to guess the temp in my garage is around 75 as well.

Any idea what the issue is, or what else I can test to rule anything out?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-17, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,050 Votes on 974 Posts
75psi is about normal if the compressor has been off for a while. But both the same pressure after the compressor is running is a major problem.

After the compressor is running...... the low side should go down to 35-40psi and the high side should be around 150-170psi based on 75f ambient temperature. As the temps rise the pressures will also rise.

Do you know how to use the gauges ?
Did you have the proper valves shut off between the gauges ?

You need to make 100% sure that the actual compressor is spinning.... not just the clutch. Usually even high/low pressures indicate a defective/blown compressor.

Old 12-28-17, 07:00 PM
B
Iím pretty sure Iím reading the guages properly, and each side only has one valve each. I canít be sure that the compressor is turning. When I look down at it all I see is the the clutch spinning after I hit the switch. How can I tell if the compressor is spinning?

Old 12-28-17, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,050 Votes on 974 Posts
There may be a bolt in the center of the clutch.

Old 12-29-17, 02:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
If yo can see the bolt or the front of clutch is turning compressor is turning. Look at front with both A?C on and off.

Old 01-04-18, 04:11 PM
B
Hi, thanks for the replies. I just got back to looking at my ac.

I can confirm that when the truck is running and the ac is off the belt is spinning and the clutch is not. When I turn on the ac, the clutch moves in and starts spinning. It never cycles on and off even with it being 50 degrees in my garage now.

Thanks