2013 and later Dodge p/u Fobik problem

Old 01-06-18, 04:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,043 Votes on 967 Posts
2013 and later Dodge p/u Fobik problem

My father has a 2013 Dodge Ram p/u truck that uses the Fobik key. That's the remote in the pic below. Twice he has been stranded because the vehicle won't respond to the transponder in the tip of the fob. The door and alarm functions work normally.

I'm looking for members that have had this exact problem and what they did to fix it. Just replace the fob ? Any dealer interaction ?

I'm not looking for speculations. It is not a dead remote battery as the transponder doesn't use the battery. I've tried disconnecting the vehicle battery for a while with no change in operation.

The Ram series started using this fob system in 2013 and it must be programmed at the dealer or thru a locksmith that has the vehicle programming software. The locksmiths get around $200 for a new Fobik programmed. Not sure what the dealer gets.

The Fobik has a pullout key that operates the door in case the remote dies but there is no regular key slot or any way that I know of to even take the vehicle out of gear. This is really a suckful system if the transponder stops working.

Name:  fobik.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  17.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-06-18 at 05:16 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-18, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
This is really a suckful system
Oh I gotta remember that! Suckful!

Old 01-06-18, 06:53 PM
Group Moderator
It truly is.

Now I'm going to need to program an extra fob that can be hidden in the vehicle..... otherwise two fobs will need to be carried and that would be even more suckful.

Old 01-08-18, 09:26 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You might want to rethink that PJ. With a spare fob in the vehicle ANYONE can walk up & unlock the doors, start & drive it away.

Old 01-08-18, 10:07 AM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
He did say hidden, and having a Ram with that type key myself I may end up doing the same thing, depending on what I find regarding how common this problem is.

Old 01-08-18, 10:46 AM
Group Moderator
This is more Chrysler confusion. The same fob in my picture works two ways.

1) In my fathers truck..... you have to put that key into the dash and turn it. That big plastic end fits into a plastic ignition switch.

2) the other system is that fob just has to be in the vehicle and then there is push button starting. He doesn't have the push button starting. If he did.... yes... it would be foolish to keep a fob hidden.

This is something new I just found. This has the big plastic end that fits the ignition switch. The key could be cut for the door as there is no actual lock cylinder in the dash. I would probably not cut the key and just use the key for the transponder in it. The link is to a site that has it. You can search for Y170PT. I'm fairly certain that it also needs dealer or locksmith programming. I read that with two working fobs you could learn in the new key transponder. I haven't confirmed this yet.
Chrysler-Dodge -Jeep (08-17) Emergency POD Key Blade with Chip (Y170PT) 68033740AA

Old 01-08-18, 12:40 PM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
2) the other system is that fob just has to be in the vehicle and then there is push button starting. He doesn't have the push button starting. If he did.... yes... it would be foolish to keep a fob hidden.
That's how mine is. If the fob is near in OR out of the vehicle the doors will unlock when i put my hand near the door latch. Starts with the pushbutton. Never have to touch the fob.

I'm not real comfortable with the system.