2017 Frontier poor mileage.

Old 02-05-18, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2017 Frontier poor mileage.

So I recently bought a frontier from a dealer, with the extended 100K warranty. It only had 10K so its still withint factory.
Anyway to the point, Im getting roughly 10mpg on this thing. Its abysmal. I do 95% highway driving, barely go over 65 and its primarily all flat. I know its winter but seriously.
Im about to bring it in to be looked at but does anyone have any input on this?
I drive once a week for my own work about 25 miles away. There and back, Im using a 1/4 tank of gas.... all highway.

The truck has a 21 gallon tank. Lets say 20 to be nice. Break that to 4 quarters and thats 5 gallons being used to drive there and back. The truck is supposed to get 19city/23hway (optimally).
If my math is correct the truck is only giving me 10 miles to the gallon to make the 50 miles. I reset my trip meter and filled up with 89 and seafoam (mid grade gas) and Im about empty and Im still under 300 miles for the tank.

I know its winter but still. Should I be concerned here? My buddy who has the exact same truck a year older says he can make it to work and back all week (50 miles a day each day) and only need to refill at the end of the week.

If this is a concern, waht are some things I can look for, or bring up to the dealer when calling it in for inspection,

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-18, 11:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
The only way to know for sure about the mpg is to fill it up, record the miles and fill it up again.
If it's an automatic could you have accidentally turned off the overdrive?

Old 02-05-18, 12:06 PM
Yup, I did the go to empty and reset trip odometer and at near empty again Im at about 275 miles. If I did a conservative mpg at 20 since Im all highway I should get 400mpg.

I know the overdrive is on, Ive fiddled with learning it (Im a standard driver) on hills and such but 99% of the time its never touched.

There ARE times when Im on the highway and from 2nd to 3rd then 4th it really seems like its losing power. Im wondering if there is a tranny issue thats costing me mileage.

I also noticed a couple of time when turning it off or on I hear this weird vacuum noise. Never heard anything like it before on my old vehicles, from cars, trucks and vans. It comes from the front, seems under the driver side wheel well. I was wondering if it had to do with 4wd and the truck was somehow stuck in it even though it says no. I would think I would REALLY know tho when I get to 60mph.
Im really confused on this one and want to have a good bearing on what I should say because I KNOW the dealers arent going to want to deal with this and more than likely blow me off.

Old 02-05-18, 12:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Generally if you are in 4 wheel drive it's more noticeable when turning. I don't know how much it affects the mpg as I never use it on the hwy. I know my jeep's mpg takes a nose dive whenever I have to go up/down my driveway in 4 wheel low all week.

We had a new 2003 frontier which got 18-20 mpg. We got rid of it because it wouldn't hold it's speed down in 4 wheel low - I have a long steep driveway.

Old 02-05-18, 04:13 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi tevil, I have a 2017 just short of one year and once we hit the cold weather the mileage dropped like a rock. last time I did the mileage check it was 11mpg and I almost threw up. Was getting 18ish when new, 4,000 miles now. We shift something in the fuel up here when it hits winter but I usually only see a couple of mpg drop.

You mentioned transmission, I will be talking to my dealer about horrible shifting when temps are below zero. I know that is cold, but have never had a transmission have trouble shifting because it is cold. Wondering now if those symptoms are related to the fuel mileage issue.

I'm a very low mileage driver so it is a pain but not a disaster, 3 year lease and it is gone. That's another story. I've had several Nissans and they have never been impressive on mileage but this one definitely has a problem. As a note, considering synthetic in the tranny for the shifting issue maybe it will help the mileage as well.

Bud
Next cold spell I'm going to pull the dip stick on the transmission to see if it is thick or thin.

Old 02-06-18, 04:36 AM
Thanks Bud.

I looked at the trip check and IM not even near 300 like I thought. Im on 230 miles lol, a full tank of gas and I got 230 miles.
Im going to call them because something is not rights, especially if my buddies 2016 is getting double that.
Im also a low mileage driver, but to me thats not an excuse (not that Im saying you think that). To me, if there is a problem I want records of it now so if in the future something pops up and they denied me, I will have some kind of paperwork that shows I knew and if something needs to be brought up I can.

My mileage is nauseating.

Keep me updated on yours and Ill do the same for you, maybe there is some kind of defect in the new models causing an issue that needs to be recalled.

Old 02-06-18, 08:32 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Thanks and we will share.
Just passed 1/4 mark at 69 miles. When new in summer I was getting 120 to 140 for the first 1/4 tank.

Strange we are not seeing more complaints on the internet as I don't think you and I ended up with the only two Frontiers getting terrible mileage.

You are correct to get this on their records plus the more Nissan hears the more likely they will do something.

Later
Bud
Note, I may be slow responding as this site no longer sends me updates, no matter what I try. I get them from very old threads but no longer new threads (sorry had to vent).

Old 02-06-18, 11:06 AM
no problem, if there is another way to contact you and you want to stay in touch let me know. I called them today to plant the seed. I will be figuring out a day to drop it off soon. I just have a nagging feeling this is something in the tranny. Thank god for 100K recert!