replace window motor w/o removing regulator? 2000 Silverado

Old 02-24-18, 10:25 AM
replace window motor w/o removing regulator? 2000 Silverado

Looks like the motor is bad on drivers side window. Window won't go down. Checked and have voltage all the way to the motor but motor doesn't run.

My question is can I remove and replace the motor separate from having to put the regulator too? YouTube videos seem to show pulling the regulator and motor together.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-18, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
That's a cable drive system. If that is the original motor in that vehicle I'd get the complete motor, cable and regulator assembly and replace it all at one time.

Old 02-24-18, 02:13 PM
Is there a way to check the motor to be positive that it is the motor and not something else? Something such as ohming the motor? not sure there would be since it is a sealed 2 direction motor.

Old 02-24-18, 04:10 PM
if you have power and ground at the motor the window should be working either the motor is bad or the regulator is locked up and bad would also replace both of them.

Old 02-24-18, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
If you are real handy.... you can change just the motor. I'm real handy and will never just change a motor again. Those cables stretch.... get caught in the pulleys and fall off. Usually if it's a stuck regulator..... you'll still hear the motor make a noise.

I've done many of those GM vehicles. Changing out the motor and drive system is actually fairly easy. I use a rubber doorstop to hold the window up in place.