Motor Oil - P/U Truck

Old 03-16-18, 06:55 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 35 Posts
Motor Oil - P/U Truck

I've used Havoline motor oil in all my vehicles for more years than I care to try to remember. Now, over the past year or so, I am finding its getting harder & harder to find. It is still available but a lot of places have stopped carrying it. It dont take a real smart feller to see that, it wont be long till it wont be available at all.
So, I am looking to change brands. I asked a couple of places & they are suggesting Valvoline as the brand they are seeing people going to for the most part.

I understand its all about personal opinion, but what do you suggest for me to switch to, from Havoline for a:
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi &,
2008 GMC Yukon V8

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-18, 07:08 PM
M
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Mobil One. It costs more, but it's worth it.

Old 03-16-18, 07:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
I like Motorcraft synthetic.

Old 03-16-18, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator
Oil is oil is oil...if it meets the required specs it makes no difference if it's Joes or Super Platinum Bobs. That's regular stuff of course...you can't compare regular and synthetic directly.

I believe Tow_guy is the one who said he uses nothing but SuperTech (Walmart brand)...and he's got over 300K miles on his wrecker. Apologies if I got that wrong.

Old 03-17-18, 04:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
I'm partial to Valvoline but I agree with Vic that for the most part any oil with the same rating is pretty much the same.
I mostly trade at AutoZone and watch their ads as they routinely have one brand or another on sale [5qts and filter] The savings is usually around $10.

Old 03-17-18, 05:09 AM
A
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Castrol is fairly popular also but most any brand like Walmart, or parts store brand or whatever is on sale should be fine and usually meets the vehicles requirements might check the owners manual to be sure.
most are going to trade off the vehicles when they get high mileage, long before major engine failure anyway so you can reduce your maintenance cost a little by using the cheaper oil brands or what may be on sale.

Old 03-17-18, 05:26 AM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
Owners manuals have the oil spec's for particular engines, and that is my guide. Sometimes they provide only the weight, and sometimes they provide a spec number. I'm sure there are plenty of diehard loyalists who claim that there is only one brand, but as long as it meets the manufacturer's recommendations I have never been convinced that one brand is going to perform any better than another. I have typically used Valvoline products, no particular reason, but they don't have a product that meets the spec's for my 6.4 hemi, nor does Mobil, so it gets Pennzoil.

Old 03-17-18, 06:12 AM
T
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
I don't think brand is important compared to the additives and features of the oil you're considering - assuming you limit consideration to the quality brands. That is, Mobil, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Shell, or Valvoline. I doubt if most people could justify one versus another so I'd pay attention to price.

Old 03-17-18, 08:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
Vic is correct (pains me to admit when a swabbie is correct). I've been using the Wal-Mart brand Supertech 10w-30 synthetic since this current motor (Chevy 5.7L TBI from Jasper) was installed, 13 years and just short of 300,000 miles. My only issue is getting a puff of smoke sometimes on startup (valve seals) Other than that it uses about a quart of oil every 2000 miles.

Old 03-17-18, 10:25 AM
Received 83 Votes on 73 Posts
I have typically used Valvoline products, no particular reason, but they don't have a product that meets the spec's for my 6.4 hemi, nor does Mobil, so it gets Pennzoil.

Just curious, what spec is it that Valvoline and Mobil don't meet and Pennzoil does? I like Motorcraft semi-synthetic, but for heavy duty or diesel use I'd use Delvac by Mobil.

Old 03-17-18, 10:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm also curious. I know a lot of the newer vehicles spec 0W20 weight which only comes in fully synthetic but still should be available in all major brands.

Old 03-17-18, 01:02 PM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
Per the owners manual: "Use Mopar SAE 0W-40 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-12633 such as Pennzoil Ultra equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures."

The first thing I learned was that any 0W-40 is not common, at least not yet at any of my local stores. Then I found OW-40 Mobil1 that was labeled something like "specifically engineered (or designed or whatever) for...", and the "..." were certain European models, so I went to the Mobil1 website, entered the make, model, and engine of my truck and it said that they did not have an oil for it. But even then I did not find any of the Pennzoil locally, and actually ended up getting it from the dealer because, although I was a bit surprised, their price was actually less than what the auto parts store price if I had them order it. The dealer gave me a discount for so many oil changes, less than I can do it myself, so will probably have them do at least the first few anyway, but I wanted at least a few quarts here in case I need to add any at some point.

Old 03-18-18, 02:20 AM
M
For those who say "oil is oil", may want to read this ......

Managing the Risk of Mixing Lubricating Oils

Old 03-18-18, 05:18 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 35 Posts
I didn't read the whole article but of what I did read, that article is referring to different types of oils such as;
conventional vs synthetic
or bar oil vs motor oils etc,
or 30w vs 40w

Now, I do not totally disagree with the theory that all oil is different, even 30w vs 30w, or Valvoline vs Havoline.
I am more of an old school mechanic & most of what I know is what I learned in the 70's & 80's. Most of that doesnt apply anymore due to technology.
Engines last longer than they used to. Back in the 60's & 70's, if you could get 100,000 out of an engine before an over haul, that was a big deal. I now have 191,000 on my '07 Dodge Hemi & it uses no oil, or very little oil, between 5000 mile changes.
Back in the day, it was standard to change oil every 3000 miles. Personally, I do not believe that is anywhere near necessary now because oils & engines are way different now. Motor oil technology has moved forward leaps & bounds, & so have engines. The 3000 mile oil change in my opinion, is outdated & is simply a gimmick by the lube places to get you back in early.... more often than necessary.
I believe that there are differences, however slightly, in brands, but again, I do not believe there are significant differences. I think 99% of 10w40 for example are basically the same & will not make huge differences. Now, having said that, I try my best not to mix brands or wt's. But, I have for short periods of time until I could do an oil change. If I see my engine is down a quart, I'll put in whatever I have closest to what I normally put in to make it to the weekend for an oil change etc.

As noted in my OP, I have used Havoline for probably 30 years. That's what I use. Again, like I said, its all personal preference. Again, because I dont think there is a dimes worth of difference in brands.

Just my opinion.. I have no facts at hand to back up my statements.

(Just a note that I learned just this week. There is a difference in car engine oil & lawn mower oil. I never knew that. Car oil has sulfur or something in it that you dont need to use in small engines. Always go to the small engine dept to buy oil for small engines. Even 30w vs 30w. Small engine oil is engineered to remove the sulfur or whatever)

Old 03-18-18, 05:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Well put Dixie!
I had the same take on that article. IMO it would take someone not too bright to mix types of oil. Different weights/brands are one thing but hydraulic, gear, engine and other oils are totally different.

Old 03-19-18, 11:14 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
My best friend drives a 2007 RAM with the Cummins diesel. He has the old oil analyzed by a lab after every change and has tried many different synthetic and conventional oils over the years. After all this time, he as also reached the conclusion that, as long as it meets the specs of the vehicle/engine, oil is oil.

Old 03-20-18, 09:23 AM
Received 9 Votes on 6 Posts
Your owner's manual will have the oil requirement listed with the grade (eg. 5W-20) the API designation (eg. SM/SN) and any Chrysler specific number (eg MS-6395)

Any oil meeting these criteria will be quite sufficient.